Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:15 PM

Tracks

#22 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

I shall look now, the only trouble is, when she first escaped, it wasn't like this at all, all the leaves in the second picture were originally blocking the slope. My mother and sister move all of the leaves and branches in an attempt to find her. But I guess maybe it's possible they in the 3 days of being gone, she moved into them

#23 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:16 AM

I have just been doing a little reading around on good ideas on how to find a lost tortoise, and some suggestions popper up offering that if I were to spray everywhere with a hose, she may pop out to either avoid he wetness, do you think it would work?

#24 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:35 AM

It wouldn't be a good idea to water the ground to the extent that it becomes saturated though..... if your tortoise is buried, you may end up drowning her..... particularly as it's now a lot cooler than it was last week and she will be more inactive and slower to respond.

Check around the roots of plants.... this is usually where they tend to hide.

#25 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:49 PM

I'll not use the water idea then. I have contacted the neighbours and asked them to keep an eye out. I am beginning to lose hope though, as we have dug everything up and searched under all loose soil, we even moved the undergrowth and she wasn't there.

#26 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

She'll be well hidden at the moment because it's cool. Wherever she is at the moment, she's unlikely to be going far. Wait until we have a warm sunny day and I dare say she will surface and you'll find her basking as if nothing has happened. ;)

Just out of interest.... where are you situated? I'm on a few tortoise groups where lost tortoises often get posted in the hope that their owners will be found. Just today one has been found in the Shallowfield area of Berkshire.

#27 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:31 PM

The problem is Danny that your tort could be well underground. I have difficulty locating mine even when I know where they have buried down.... The weather hasn't been too warm and I would hope it hasn't gone far. I would keep redoing the hands and knees check even over where you have been. Torts are so hard to see....... I would check and re check, move undergrowth away totally and recheck. It is a worry, and fingers crossed you will find her soon x x x hugs x x

#28 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

Thanks both, we are waiting for a warm day for her to come out, they're amazing little things! And I am in Leicestershire Kelly :) I'll be checking early tomorrow morning and then frequently throughout the week despite the weather, but once the sun is out, do you suggest I look even more for her or just simply keep popping my head out to avoid scaring her and stopping her from
making an appearance.

#29 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:15 AM

It chucked it down with rain last night and I woke up at 9:30 to see that it was sunny (yet still rather cold). I had a look out but didn't see her basking anywhere, the place where we think ehe may have gone doesn't get much sunlight due to ye trees. Is she more likely to be around in times like now? A also would anybody suggest me digging holes and placing some buckets around in the attempt to see her in one in the following morning?

#30 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

I'd not do any digging if it was me, in case you hit her. If the sun warms the ground, she will come out eventually, it could take a few days of good weather though. so April is a bit hit and miss. She is not likely to go into a bucket I would have thought as they naturally dig down, but hermanns are not big diggers so won't go deep, so a finger tip or small plastic garden hand fork is the way to go.

#31 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:06 PM

Found her guys!! In the garden, no where near where we was looking, just chilling on the top of a bush like nothing had happened.

#32 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:36 PM

Knew she would be there, brilliant news. One of mine disappeared last week. She is there somewhere, just need to know where. Last year it was a smaller one that kept digging down and reappeared eventually.

#33 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

Aw thanks so much for all your help everyone, I'm looking into placing them outside like you suggests (I have posted a thread in search of advise on how to go about it) and hopefully in the future get a couple more hermanns :):)

#34 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 10:40 PM

And that's not good to hear, but I'm sure you will find her, best of luck !

#35 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:16 PM

She is there somewhere, just need to keep looking. The dog is wondering why I am digging the garden up lol

#36 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:33 AM

Found her guys!! In the garden, no where near where we was looking, just chilling on the top of a bush like nothing had happened.

That's brilliant news.  :)

#37 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:37 PM

Great news danny :)

#38 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 22 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

Great news, Danny, I'm so pleased to hear it   :yay:

I bet she gave you that 'What's the problem?' look when you found her.

I'm really happy.  :)

#39 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

Haha my dog was loving the fact that everybody was out in the garden, he was useless when it came to helping us though haha, I'm
sure she will be back very soon! And he's Graham, that's the exact look she have haha. Thanks again guys for all of your help.

#40 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:59 PM

Martha is back too, little monkey. Having dug up what I thought was all of the garden, bar the palm trees, there she was basking in the border as though she had just got back from her hols. Never a dull moment. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users