• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Laura-1992

Laura-1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:30 AM

Can I have a few suggestions please on what everyone personally feeds theirs tortes? Thank you :-)

#2 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

Weeds, including:

Lamb's Lettuce, Plantain, dandelion, sow thistle, knapweed, nipplewort, vetch, cornflower, 

Flowers, including:

Campanula, Hibiscus, evening primrose, musk mallow, welsh poppy, livingstone daisy, hollyhocks, snapdragons, limnanthes, pansies, viola.

If you download this booklet, Laura, it'll give you lots of different weeds and flowers to feed your tortoise on:

http://www.thetortoi...let_8595_40.asp

#3 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:08 PM

These are the weeds and flowers I have found in my local area:

Broadleaf plantain

Ribwort plantain

Dandelion leaves and flowers

Shepherds Purse

White and red clover leaves and flowers

Bittercress

Smooth sow thistle

Prickly sow thistle

Hawksbeard

Hedgemustard

Nipplewort

Meadow Cranesbill (Geranium)

Pansy/viola leaves and flowers

Cats ear

Welsh poppy

Vetch

Common mallow

Goosegrass

#4 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

Hi laura,
Graham and kelly have given lists of good diets and i also feed mine on these weeds especially alot of plantain as very high in fibre wich torts need plenty of!and its FREE :)

#5 Laura-1992

Laura-1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

Ive just picked a load of dandelion leaves as I know 100% what these look like and untill studying more plants I don't want to risk it just yet. 

I took a few pics of some plants i didnt know what they were. .

Attached Files

#6 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:36 PM

I found this little booklet really useful when I first started on my quest to find edible weeds.

Here are a few pictures of some of the weeds I feed my tortoises to get you started on knowing what is safe and what isn't.

Attached Files

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:11 PM

Here is my own list :D   www.tortsmad.com/diet.htm

#8 Laura-1992

Laura-1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:36 PM

Can they eat dockleaves? Not sure thats how you spell it..

#9 Becca

Becca

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

No, sorry, dock leaves are not safe

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

Dock leaves are not toxic as such, but are high in oxalic acid, so if they do eat it it needs to be a very small part of a varied diet. As thy are so acidic though, it's unlikely they will eat it. I love them (and other sorrels)  chopped up and added to a mixed salad ;)

#11 Becca

Becca

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:43 AM

Sorry Laura, as you know I'm still new to this and I had read on the tortoise table that this was on the red list ie not to feed. There is a lot of conflicting info on the internet so I suppose the best way is to follow the advice of those on here who have kept healthy torts for years, they obviously doing it right.

#12 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

I'm not knocking the Tortoise Table in any way as they are a great resource and better to not give something that is Ok, rather than the other way around. Unfortunately, many lists of toxic foods are made with regards to humans and other mammals, so not always relating to tortoises. It's a bit like groundsel, that is dreadful stuff and can cause liver damage to most mammals and reptiles and yet canaries love it :D  If in doubt I always ask Annie Lancaster from the yahoo group, Tortoise Nutrition - she really does know her stuff regarding tortoises diets. One thing worth noting is that despite buttercups being listed as toxic, they are not always toxic to tortoises digestive systems and have been found in large quantities in wild tortoises faeces. The key is supposedly in the age of the plant - new leaves, do no harm at all, whereas older tougher leaves have a slightly different composition, so not good. When I moved here there was a lot of gravel area which was beginning to show weed growth, including a lot of buttercups. I let the tortoises on to it and they cleared the lot, I now have no sign of buttercups as the growth above ground was kept clear and I have very healthy tortoises :D

#13 Laura-1992

Laura-1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

It's alright Becca as soon as I posted that I looked at the tortoise table haha and realised it was in the red. I'd have gone for a no as well :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users