Weight Gain

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:My loves in life are my family, animals, art, and running.
    Owner of Nick the cat and two hermanns, Daphne and Mabel.

Denise
    x

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

Hello,
Hope you're all having a nice weekend.

I am trying to watch the weight gain of my torts this year as i dont want them to grow too fast. I know that it is difficult to replicate the same slow weight gain as a wild tortoise and im trying to stick to the 2-3 grams a month.
I just wondered if anyone could clarify if the 2-3 grams per month is an average weight over the whole year (inc.hibernation time) or is just relevant to the months the tortoises are awake?

Thanks
Denise

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

Hi Denise

A lot depends on the age/size of your tortoise, also, as you say, the time of year. I find they gain an awful lot more immediately after hibernation and then it tails off a little bit. 2-3 grams cannot be taken as the norm as bigger tortoises obviously gain more than small ones. www.tortoises.net has a good guide as to what is the normal size of a tortoise at a certain age in relation to your hand size. I usually go by the size of the new growth area. If the lighter coloured new growth is just like a thick pencil line then you are not going far wrong and growth will them be fairly smooth and even. If you have large bands of new growth, it is likely to be too much.

Hope this helps :)

#3 den2908

den2908

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:My loves in life are my family, animals, art, and running.
    Owner of Nick the cat and two hermanns, Daphne and Mabel.

Denise
    x

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:30 PM

Thanks ..yes very helpful. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users