• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 05 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

I'm becoming a little concerned about Harry: When he came up from hibernation a fortnight ago, he started off well, eating, roaming around a bit and generally coming on great. However, he seems to have really slowed down lately; hardly moving about, not eating much, and appearing lethargic. 

Am I getting paranoid? Or could it be perhaps that the weather has cooled down, and Harry has slowed up with it.

Any help or suggestions would be really welcome.

Thanks.

#2 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:41 PM

Hi Graham, I really can't help, and I may be totally wrong ( I often am) but within my lot the two boys did as you said of Harry started off all guns blazing and then slowed down a bit. In fact boy pebble dug himself in a few times and I had to dig him up. Maurice wasn't too keen to get anywhere except to his food and back.
However, today Maurice is moving about more and Boy Pebble has had a wander around the enclosure. X x x hugsx x

#3 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:22 PM

Hi Graham,

If as you say the weather has cooled down then chances are 'Harry' has slowed down too. Sometimes tortoises can find it hard to get going especially when mornings are cold or there is very little sunshine about. Unlike your 'Harry' my 'Billiejo' takes some time to get back into the groove after hibernation. She is never quick out of the blocks which I put down to long hibernations and her age. I suspect Harry is the same, possibly starting off well and being active due to a normal glycogen or energy burst post hibernation. Harry's survival instinct probably kicked in upon waking and now that he has had time to eat and examine his environment which is as it was he has now settled down. Harry is 46 years old now, not too old I admit, but hardly in the full flush of youth. I think he will spend more and more of his days taking it easy and being less active until the truly good weather returns. When the finer days become more and more common I'm sure Harry's behaviour will become more consistent and his activity will increase. This is exactly how my 'Billiejo' behaves and she is over 50 years of age.

Anyway Graham, I don't think you have anything to worry about. For now I wish you the best of luck with 'Harry' and I look forward to talking with you again soon. :)

Take care. 

Kind Regards

Freddy :D

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:31 PM

I'd say it's most likely the weather Graham. They were spoiled by that early warm burst and are now suffering for it. I have had to up the back up heat this last few days to give mine and extra boost. I have torts here from a few years to over 100 and all are behaving just the same. Your tort is middle aged now, so I would say nothing to worry about ;)

#5 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:03 PM

Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to reply, and for your reassurance. I'm sure you're all quite correct, and that I'm acting like Old Mother Hen again.

Roll on the good weather so all our torts can become their old selves again.

Many thanks,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users