1 reply to this topic

#1 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 06:03 AM

Hey, 

I now have my outdoor enclosure built and ready to go... I wanted to check it with everyone before I put the babies out in it though (they are still so diddy!!).

It is all built directly onto the soil in the garden. 

I have a large cold frame with a tubular greenhouse heater in it set to come on if the temperature gets below 14 degrees. Inside the cold frame I have some plants (which they will no doubt destroy quickly) and a small wooden hide. 

Outside they have a large enclosed area. They are only just coming up one year old so it is going to seem like a HUGE space to them I imagine (I went as large as possible as obviously they have masses of space in the wild). I have added lots of rocks and plants and bits of bark to hide under to make them feel secure. I am a little worried I might never find them again... but it is definitely a secure area and I am sure they won't be able to get out.

It has a chicken wire roof on it to make sure the seagulls or cats can't get in. 

I wanted to check that everyone agrees this all sounds as it should be. 

I also wanted to make sure the heating is OK. I am happy to buy a ceramic heat emitter or something too to come on in the morning for a couple of hours to get them up and going if needed??? 

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Katie x 

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

Hi katie,
All sounds great to me! your obviously planning to keep them out all night now? yes the tubular heater will be fine over night to keep the frosts at bay if we have any but i would defo set a heat bulb up on a stat for the early mornings to get them going as being so small would take along time to get their body temps up!
Regards matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users