• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Deano

Deano

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

Is my new Herman (Clyde) ok in her 4ft vivarium she seems happy she's eating fine sleeps under her little log.
I have read so much regarding tables and vivarium I'm worried I'm doing the wrong thing

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

Hi there - just think about what they would have in the wild, which is a wide range of temperatures, no glass barriers to confuse them and a never neding deep substrate, so they can dig in whenever and wherever they like. This is why vivs are so bad for med species of tortoises as they temps are too stable and humidity too constant. Eventually it is very likely that your tortoise will suffer a respiratory problem due to not being able to thermoregulate properly. in the med at this time of year it is still very cold overnight at ground level and the humidity rises drastically, dropping down to virtually zero in the day in the sunlight. I would change to an open topped table top accommodation ASAP if I was you and if your viv was sold to you by a petshop, then ask them to refund as it is not fit for the purpose intended. To be honest, the sooner pet shops and reptile outlets get the message the better. If no-one returns these items then they will never know their mistake. I have written two articles now for PetGazette which is a magazine aimed at the pet trade and quite a few pet shops are now not selling vivs with tortoises as a result. Animal husbandry education is hard work, but if it works for just a few, it's a result :D

Good luck

#3 Deano

Deano

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 01:13 PM

I will get it changed ASAP then😄 can you recommend anywhere to order from?

#4 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:47 PM

Hi deano,to be honest i wouldnt buy a table just make 1 yourself,all it need is four sides high enough so they can see over and a base with a plastic liner in it!.or use an old book shelf with out the shelves
Regards matt

#5 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:49 PM

Cant see over

#6 Deano

Deano

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 03:59 PM

I don't have time mate I would prefer to buy one.its bad really that pet shops are giving out the wrong advice 😳
The tortoise shop seem to sell a few has anybody used them before?

#7 Hellymack

Hellymack

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:13 PM

Hi Deano

This website has a few http://www.happytort...es-uk-for-sale/

As you would expect ebay sell them too.

How old is your tort? Mine is 6 now (we had him for a year) and I don't use a viv or a table as he has a full outside enclosure and I have a bedroom box in the house which is use for night times in Mar/April & Sept/Oct when the night temps drop below 10 degrees then Nov-Mar is hibernation time.

But may need to rethink this if I do have a bad hibernation.

Hope this helps

Helen

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

I would not give that particular shop your money, the tables they sell are far too small, have unnecessary hide areas at one end and have flimsy bases that will not support the weight of the substrate. If they are still making that Daisy tortoise starter kit, they should be ashamed of themselves, almost as bad as a viv lol.  All in all their claims are a bit economical with the truth if you get my drift. If you cannot make one, then have a look at those for sale on the net and in some shops, but do ask them if they can do them without hide areas at one end (waste of space) and make sure the bottoms are made of solid wood that can be lined against the damp from watering. Good luck ;)

#9 Deano

Deano

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:41 PM

She is three and loverly 😘 but me and and my wife are very keen to make sure she has the best we can provide!
How old before I can build her a palace outside?
All so the pet shop told us not to hibernate until 5 years old is this all so wrong?

#10 Hellymack

Hellymack

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

My advice is... do lots of research .... and none of it in or ant where near the petshop!!

They really have no idea.. no idea at all.

Try and find out if there is a local tortoise group in your area - I am in Leicester and we have regular meetings and twice yearly health checks as well as info sheets etc.

http://www.leicestershirevillages.com/blaby/leicester-tortoise-society.html 

We really struggled when we first got George as we were not prepared but by the end of last year with all the reading and advice on here George went into hibernation and slept soundly for 20 weeks only losing 4g in weight.

My personal view is that if you going to care for something as special as a tort that should live for 80+ years you really should invest time and effort into making sure it's home is as close to what it would have been in the wild.

My family think I am daft but at least I know my tort has a great home and the correct diet and temperatures to thrive and hopefully outlive me.

Hope this helps

#11 Deano

Deano

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

Thanks for your advice everyone 😄

#12 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:02 PM

My babies go outside the year they hatch and they hibernate in their first winter. This is what would happen in the wild and is perfectly natural for them. I have never lost a baby to this practice yet. Been keeping them for 30+ years with no problems. Most vets will tell you that the sick tortoises they see usually live in vivs and are not hibernated or kept outdoors.

#13 Laura-1992

Laura-1992

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:45 PM

Hi deano, I did the same thing and I bought a viv later to find out that tortoises shouldn't live in them - he lived in it for approx a week or so and his whole life up until I managed to sell the viv on gumtree and buy a tortoise table on ebay, was a little bit of a pain as I was told by the pet shop where I bought sherman that she keeps her tortoises in a 4" viv and she they are fine because she can maintain the temperature within the viv but not in a tortoise table - I see where she is coming from with that mind. But ever since I put sherm in his tortoise table with heat and uv bulb and soil instead of vivarium with heat matt and mattstatt, uv llight and totoise pellets for floor coverage..he seems so much more on the go - however past day or so he's been a little slower. But overall id definitely suggest a tortoise table!! I got ours from ebay for £50 including uv bulb and heat lamp and delivery! :-)

#14 Deano

Deano

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

I'm confused! So I should be thinking about a outside house ASAP aswell? 😄
I was going to ring these guys tomorrow and get a table ordered up http://www.happytort...es-uk-for-sale/

#15 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2014 - 03:37 PM

Extremely expensive and with a lot of unnecessary extras. Do they have any tables without the silly hide areas? The ones with railings etc are designed with humans in mind not torts ;)

#16 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

My personal view is that if you going to care for something as special as a tort that should live for 80+ years you really should invest time and effort into making sure it's home is as close to what it would have been in the wild.

I couldn't agree more, Helen, when we take on torts we have to be aware that it's a lifetime commitment, and that we must do our utmost to ensure they enjoy happy and healthy lives; we are under a moral obligation to do so.

This involves ongoing research, spending money and lots of time, and generally devoting time and effort on a constant basis.

This is all repaid to us by our loved shelled ones with all the pleasure and joy they give us.

#17 Deano

Deano

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:56 PM

I have a plain table ordered none of the human frilly bits fitted lol!

i have just finished my garden and i have been planing my shed those plans have changed in to a shed/tort house and outside area for my new friend :)

#18 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:54 AM

Sounding good Deano, your tortoise will appreciate it. You might find he hides away for a while a first, but they do his with all change, so juts hang on in there until he gets he hang of it ;)

#19 Deano

Deano

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 04:42 PM

Hi!

Clyde is in her tortoise table now and i can see how it is alot better for her she is sulking about it though lol!

How wet should i keep the soil?

#20 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:36 PM

Never wet, just damp and always damp below the surface ;) They always sulk at first until they get used to things. You might have to persuade her to get up in the morning for a while, but it won't last long especially at this time of year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users