#1 Hellymack

Hellymack

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:22 PM

Hi All

Little bit of advice please....

George woke up on 22nd March weighting 314g (only lost 4g during hibernation).

He sleeps in the house at night but gets put out every morning either straight into his garden if the sun is shining or into his heated outside house if it is a dull day.

George has now been awake and active etc,  as I would normally expect, for almost 4 weeks - I weighed him today and he now weigh's 378g - this is an increase of 1/5 of his starting weight!!

I am really surprised by this increase so quickly - I do not offer any food at all - he just helps himself to the plants in his garden (all tort friendly)

Is this acceptable?

Thanks Helen

#2 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:54 PM

Hi, Helen,

At this particular stage, I wouldn't be too concerned; it might seem a lot of weight as far proportion to his mass goes, but bear in mind the amount of weight he's gained is only the same as seven pound coins, not a great deal when you think of how much torts can much eat over a four week period; also, as it takes a couple of weeks as least for food to be digested and passed, a good bit of this is probably waste waiting to be passed.

He'll probably have a good empty out shortly, whereupon, his weight will go down accordingly, so I'd wait a week or two before weighing him again to check.

In the same vein, my Harry gained 80g in his first week out of hibernation, but now he's toileting, shall we say, his weight has stabilized a bit.

I'm only surmising on this, I'm sure other, more experienced keepers will be able to guide you a bit more on this.

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:01 AM

It's not true weight Helen, but a full gut after having an empty one over hibernation. If you think of how long it took to wind him down, it takes a similar time to build them back up. It will slow down now he is back to normal, a lot of it will be fluid too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users