79 replies to this topic

#1 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of placing my two tortoises outside in a more natural environment so I was hoping for any suggestions that you may have on what is best for them? They are both 4 years old and one is male, the other is female.

I have attached 3 photos of their current outdoor enclosure (which I put them when it's warm out). The shed is currently being used for storage but I will also use that as part as their living space.

Please, as many suggestions as you have on what I should do (e.g. heating, plants, obstacles, substrate etc) would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Daniel

Attached Files

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 04:09 AM

Hi Daniel,

The area you have for them is great, first I would say you will need something better than the little black borders to keep them in that area some thing that they can't see through so a small fence, or some thing along those lines, you could use decking boards etc.

I would remove most of the grass so you have a soil enclosure which will be loads better for them, you can then add plenty of plants, like ornamental grasses, hebe, lavender have a look on here for more plant ideas.  http://www.thetortoi...e/plants_19.asp  ;)

You can also add hides and tunnels and plenty of rocks for them to climb over, just to make it interesting for them.

For the shed if you make an entrance into the shed for them they'll soon learn to go in and out them self's, it would be better if you can have electrics in the shed and have a basking lamp in there for cooler days, I am sure others will be along to add to this. :)

I will add some pictures of mine later today to give you some ideas. :)

#3 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

Thanks Karen :) Inside the shed I am thinking of either using my current indoor lamp, or adding in a rabbit hut with a lamp inside that, so that they can choose between temperatures. The heating is my main concern and the shed in general I am unsure what to do with, as for the outdoor bit however, I will definetely take on board what you said and make it my summer job to build it all up.

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:49 AM

Hi Daniel,

Inside my shed I have it sort of like a big tortoise table, all the floor space is filled with topsoil, with rocks and hides in etc, I have two basking lamps which hang from the ceiling at a height to give the correct basking temperature, I also have a heater on a thermostat but my torts live in the shed 24/7 so this is used at the front and back end of the year, I think if you decide how much space your going to give them in the shed you can go from there regarding heating. :)

#5 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

It's brilliant Daniel, keep on at Karen to put pics up. It works really well and her torts have the best housing ever and are thriving on it. Come on Karen - we want pics - we want pics lol

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:43 AM

:lol:  Thanks Sue, I will put some on later today. x

#7 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

Yes come on Karen we want to see some Piccys :)

#8 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 12:47 PM

Yes I would love to see the pictures! I'm pleased that you all approve of the area I have for them, I'm worried about the heating though inside the shed :(

#9 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:13 PM

Here' s my shed. :)

SAM_1999_zps69c07455.jpg

SAM_1962_zps0a4846a8.jpg

SAM_1986_zps17a778a0.jpg. :)  

#10 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:14 PM

and some of my outside, not very sunny today but some torts where out. :)

SAM_2085_zps91bfb786.jpg

SAM_2076_zpsc7443751.jpg 

SAM_2075_zpsba88767a.jpg

SAM_2078_zps3658d9f9.jpg 

SAM_2086_zps6a72ca34.jpg

SAM_2079_zps9505b26c.jpg

#11 Becca

Becca

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:45 PM

That looks amazing!!!

Do you not worry about unwanted guests, is it necessary to put something over the top?

Also, what kind of heater do you use?

Will defintely be pinching some of your ideas!

Becca :)

#12 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:14 PM

Blooming hell karen,im so jealous!!!that is 1 amazing set up,this will give members lots of ideas to use to create their setups!
Thanks fourm sharing them :)

#13 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:45 PM

It's brilliant Daniel, keep on at Karen to put pics up. It works really well and her torts have the best housing ever and are thriving on it. Come on Karen - we want pics - we want pics lol

And I would love to see yours Sue!,,,

#14 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:56 PM

Karen, I have been developing tort lodge gardens for a few years now and am struggling to get plants established. Initially I made the BIG mistake planting tort friendly plants......which were eaten or trampled within hours!!!! What do you suggest will be hardy enough to withstand the trampling and munching of numerous very hungry torts x x

#15 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:15 PM

Hi Stella.

I have some plants in there that they've just eaten, and I have to replace them, the ones they haven't really touched are heather, hebe, yucca and different grasses, they still trample all over them but up to now they've lasted ;)

they use a couple of them to hide away the main one is the big heather, if you can't find one that's where they'll be. :)

#16 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,825 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:27 PM

That looks amazing!!!

Do you not worry about unwanted guests, is it necessary to put something over the top?

Also, what kind of heater do you use?

Will defintely be pinching some of your ideas!

Becca :)

Thanks Becca,

this only has my adults in, my hatchlings are always covered. :) ill let you know what heater it is. :)

#17 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

LOL, I no longer have enclosures, my torts are free range and know where to go home at night for safety. My garden really belongs to the torts and I just make use of it now and again ;)

#18 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:09 PM

Karen,

You have a wonderful tort enclosure! It puts mine to shame :blush: and is a credit to you. Many congrats. :)

Kind Regards

Freddy :D

#19 Rosemae

Rosemae

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

That is amazing Karen! You have some very lucky torts. I'll be stealing lots of ideas when designing my outside enclosure.

Thank you for the pics.
Jo

#20 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:33 AM

LOL, I no longer have enclosures, my torts are free range and know where to go home at night for safety. My garden really belongs to the torts and I just make use of it now and again ;)

This is my plan now I have the garden redeveloped. The plant spaces have been set with tort friendly weeds, wildflowers and garden plants. It will be interesting what happens once the gate is put into Tort Lodge Gardens. X x x hugs x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users