- - - - -

Building An Outdoor Enclosure And Need Help

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

Sadly I cannot grow much edible stuff in the garden. It's all tort friendly but they eat the lawn weeds and anything edible down to the ground which means I still have to go out weed picking daily in summer.

#22 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:38 PM

I am just looking at heaters for the tortoises shed and was wandering what kind to get? Particularly how many watts?

#23 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:57 PM

I have my eye on a 2000W electrical convector heater with timer and thermostat, does this seem okay?

#24 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:39 PM

Ive got just a little oil filled heater from argos to keep the frosts at bay in early spring but their temps at night are nearly the same as outside tempts during the night,aslong as they can bask and get up to temperature in the mornings i wouldnt go too mad,5-6c at night is fine
Regards matt

#25 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:46 PM

I have ordered the heater and obviously already have a lamp for them. I have also planted a variety of wild flowers ready for them. My plan now is to fill the shed with about 2 inches of soil and same goes for the outside bit and then put the heater and lamp in the shed whilst having the plants and obstacles outside. My only concern is that their enclosure is at the back of the garden and although it does get the sun, it becomes shaded towards around about 1 oclock ish. Would this be a problem? Please let me know your thoughts on everything please guys, as I am worried about putting them out there permanently (well at least over the summer).

#26 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:36 PM

Yes it could be a potential problem as it would not allow them to follow the sun around until mid afternoon, when they retire, cutting down their natural day. Could you not use a sunnier part of the garden at all? My last garden was huge but had so many mature trees that is was far less suitable than this south facing garden, even though this is smaller.

#27 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:45 PM

After having a look, I think the back of the garden does still get a lot of the sun, it stops at about 4 o'clock I think

#28 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:08 PM

The enclosure gets the sun up until 4 o'clock :) I was wondering if anybody could help me with the soil etc inside the shed. I have bought three bags of topsoil which should be enough, however in table I have indoors for the torts, the soil, aftera while, creates a lot of dust and the torts cannot bury down because the soil goes rather hard. What can I do to prevent this from happening in the outdoor enclosure, once I put the soil down?

#29 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:05 PM

Hi danny,my encloser gets sun first thing in the morning til sunset which like sue said is what they need as they follow the sun!i just use topsoil but if you water it daily in that case it will keep the soil from dusting up,under heat lamps you cant help it as it dries out but try that see if it works
Regards matt

#30 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

Okay i shall try that, thank you ! And any ideas on what I can do about the sunlight? The sun starts to slowly retreat away from the back of the garden up towards the house. I thought 4 oclock was an okay time to stop having sunlight?

#31 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:18 PM

Well im lucky with the position of my garden but i guess alot of people have this problem,what id do is put some bright lights in their outdoor housing from 4 onwards till around half 8-9 to give them that little extra hours,doesnt have to be uv bulbs,i use normal house hold 60w spots

#32 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:49 PM

As they usually start to slow down towards bed time at around 4pm then this is better than nothing. I would not add more heat and light after this time, as this could be confusing, making indoor ambient temps higher than outdoor ;)

#33 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:09 PM

Sorry that was just my opinion,Sue is alot more experienced that i am so take her advice

#34 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

No, all opinions count Matt. This is just one that I encountered at my last house (why I moved here lol). 

#35 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:22 PM

Hearer is in, soil is down! I shall post piccies when it's all done, maybe at the weekend :)

#36 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

Here it is guys :) Please let me know what you think, what you like and what you think I should change. :)

#37 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:35 PM

Attached File  image.jpg   40.87KB   1 downloads

#38 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

Nice idea Danny. I would say you need lots more light and more central rather than in the corner, deeper soil, a wooden strut to contain the liner (as they will end up digging behind it) and I would not use all the little hides etc, preferring to replace them with rocks for them to dig under and get a better microclimate for growth etc. Do they have free access to outdoors or do you have to take them in and out - sorry if I got this wrong?

#39 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:54 AM

I have to let them in and out at the moment, I am going to make a hole near the door and put a car flap over it. Will just the one lamp be okay (if I make it more central as you said), I only ask because id rather not get another lamp just yet as they're expensive :( .. By the little hides, do you mean the house and log etc, because they really seem to like them as they always go into them.

Thanks a lot for the feedback :)

#40 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

Hi danny,
If you can get hold of a reflector then just use an 60w house hold bulb thats what i use to give extra light and works a treat and cheap!i agree with sue,the hides ie the house i would take out to encourage them to dig down once you get a good decent depth of soil
Regards matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users