Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

I made a reflector out of a foil flan dish x x x

#42 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:17 PM

You really need much more lighting, one lamp is not enough in such an enclosed area, you need it to be as bright as possible, similar to outdoors. Try adding normal fluorescent strips around the edges.

#43 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

Iv taken out the hides and added lots of rocks and a couple more branches, iv also made the lamp more central and I shall work on Matts idea of a reflector (I was hoping you could explain this a little more to me though). As for the soil depth, I have 210 litres of top soil in there, I was certain this would be enough as they can definitely did down far enough to even cover themselves.
My only issue now, and perhaps my biggest issue is that the soil (in most areas) has gone hard, despite me watering it. How often do you guys water the soil? When I stand on the soil to get Shelly and Bash out, it becomes hard. What do you guys do to keep the soil soft and at a good quality?Attached File  image.jpg   52.32KB   0 downloads

#44 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:35 PM

Do you guys use UVA + UVB bulbs or just normal
household ones?

#45 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:39 PM

Hi danny,
With the soil i water it daily in my out door house as it reaches up 20-25c in their during the day with out lamps on so dries out quickly,i dont touch the soil at all,torts are very good diggers and find it no probs when coming compact!in away its a good thing that they have to work that little harder to build their leg muscles
Regards matt

#46 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:48 PM

Ahh excellent, thanks Matt :) I have put some more soil in anyway and hopefully they dig into it tonight and I'll have to see how they get on.

#47 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:29 AM

Do you guys use UVA + UVB bulbs or just normal
household ones?

Hi Danny,

The shed's coming on great, it looks loads better now you've moved the lamp, in my shed I just use a house hold spot bulb with a ceramic holder they don't cost much at all, I have two of these, my shed has plenty of windows which let's in loads of natural light, but I do also have spot bulbs in the ceiling for extra light when needed. :)

#48 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

You will need some level of uvb if they are in there most of the time, but basically it is bright light, which you will not get from a normal household bulb, but a fluorescent one. You will also need uv to sterilise the soil or it will become sour indoors. Outside it is kept clean by the rain and the sun. Soft soil is not good for leg muscles as you say, it needs to be hard same as in the wild, just damper at the base. .

#49 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:43 PM

Thanks both, I managed to get a new UVA + UVB bulb today so I'll plug that in tomorrow. The torts don't seem to burrow down at all, Shelly buries under the same plant outside occasionally. I have just checked on them now that the hides are gone (apart from
or tunnel thing that I have made into a cave) and Bash is in the corner and Shelly is in the cave. Is this a problem, if so what do I need to do? I can't imagine it would be a problem as they would bury down if they wanted, obviously they just enjoy it as it is?

#50 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

If they are not burying down then the overnight temp are not dropping sufficiently.  It's not a good idea to make them too cosy overnight ;)

#51 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:22 PM

When I take the hides out, they just sleep in the corners with no attempts to bury and I never put the heater in in there because it isn't cold enough. What should I do? I'm happy to take the hides away if burying down is better for them but I feel as though they would prefer to hide than to bury so I feel bad taking that away.

#52 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2014 - 07:25 AM

You are thinking human instead of tortoise Danny. No little huts in the wild, just good old soil to dig down into. When you think they have evolved over millions of years to do this, they are not doing too badly on it and are far healthier than most of our captive ones ;)How long have they been in there now?

#53 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:17 PM

The hides? The hides have been in there since I first made the enclosure (and have always been in the indoor enclosure). When I took them out, niether Shelly, nor Bash buried down, instead they just slept in the corners. I have attached a photo of what it looked like before the hides and straight after. Am I supposed to turn the on the lamp on today's like today (cloudy)?

Attached Files

#54 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:03 PM

No the torts LOL

Yes, they will not get going without warming their core temps up. A tortoise needs to be around 30 degrees to get a good appetite and to digest it's food. Without warming up they will just do nothing at all. Put a couple of basking lamps close together to see if that makes a difference. What wattage are you using - I use farm clear infra red lamps, which are usually 250 watt. It's all trial and error and by next year you will be wondering what the fuss was :D

#55 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 06:17 PM

I am using 80 watt because the lady in the pet shop suggested it (and seeing as the higher watts are more expensive, I figured she must have been honest). To be honest, I am tempted to exchange this bulb for a larger one. I am not sure if they sell 250 watts anyway, but I could always have a look online. Do you have any good websites that I can have a look on?

#56 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:15 AM

You need much more wattage than that really Danny. Petshops don't really have a clue, especially about large areas, they are thinking glass tanks etc. You need to go to a farm supplies to get the proper outdoor stuff. It's lots cheaper and more sturdy too. Pig lamps which include the appropriate ceramic holder are around £15 - £20 and the bulbs are around £5 each. I very much doubt you will find the correct bulb in a petshop to be honest. This is what I use

#57 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:18 AM

There is a link on my Tortsmad website to appropriate pig lamps for outdoor use. This site will not let me add a copy and paste so feel free to go to www.Tortsmad.com for the link :D

#58 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:10 PM

I agree sue a higher wattage is needed,i only have a little area to heat than a big shed thats 1 of the reasons i down sized their house due too this,tempts are more stable and easier to reach them.pig lamps are a great idea,mite have to give 1 a try instead of using two lamps

#59 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 12:47 PM

Okay, so say i get a 250 watt pig lamp. What do I for ultraviolet waves? I understand that its getting sunnier, but will they not need any UV bulbs for inside the shed for cloudier days?

#60 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 01:13 PM

Would this holder be sufficient for a 250 watt pig bulb? http://www.tortoisec...clamp-lamp.aspx

If so, I can order a bulb tonight and the torts will have some nice heat in a few days!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users