- - - - -

Building An Outdoor Enclosure And Need Help

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

No, it states in the description, up to 200 watts ;)  You will need to order a farm type lamp such as the ones on the Tortsmad link page www.tortsmad.com/links.html

#62 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:16 PM

My mistake, thanks Sue!

I have found the link to the infra-red heat lamp which is £15.35ex VAT. I cannot however find a 250 watt clear infra-red bulb.

My dad asked me why I was in search for an infra-red lamp and bulb, as I already have a heater in the shed. May I ask what the exact equipment you would suggest for the tortoises shed?

I currently have a heater with an in built thermostat and timer, with a 80W arcadia bulb with the clamp lamp listed above.

Please could you list what else I would need to buy on top of or even instead of this and explain what it is for, as I am struggling to understand the difference between lighting, heating and UV lights.

Thanks so much and sorry to be a pain!

#63 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:26 PM

Hi danny,
You will need UV strips as you torts dont have free access to out doors as these replace sun rays to a degree for d3 intake when combined with nutibol or neckon powder on their food for healthy bone and shell growth.heating wise the heat lamps are for basking to reach core temps for feeding and activity,extra lighting as its a big area so it needs to be bright to mimic the outdoors for the feel good factor to make them feel good.hope this sorts of explains it as im not that good at explaining when writing lol

#64 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:32 PM

For the strip uv bulbs i use are the Arcadia D3 12% but you will need the correct starter unit depending on what size strip bulbs you choose.note i dont use uv strips in their out door home as they have free access to their out door encloser,only end of season and early spring after hibernation when i keep them in their indoor encoser

#65 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:33 PM

They do have access to outside sunshine, in fact, when its sunny, their door is left wide open for them to go in and out, though they only ever leave if I put them out, but even then, Bash goes back inside and Shelly hides.

In which case, I think I am going to buy a 250watt pig lamp and holder (suggested on Sue's website). This will give heat and light (with a clear infrared bulb). As it is summer, I shall avoid getting any UV strips, and as an alternative I can use my current 80watt bulb when its cloudy, as the torts both bask under it now that I have lowered it.

Let me know if you think this is what I should do :)

#66 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:43 PM

Sorry danny i thought thought they didnt have free access,i thought it was only if you put them out yourself sorry my mistake :s.yes dont worry bout the uv strips then just concentrate on the lighting for brightness and the basking lamps.

#67 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:46 PM

Excellent, thanks a alot for the help! I can confidently make some purchases without worrying about wasting my money now. If I get this clear infrared bulb, when do I turn the heater on, as the bulb acts as a heat source anyway.

#68 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

Dont turn the heater on but thats my only opinion danny as tempts this time of year are plenty sufficient for them,aslong as their backing lamp reaches the correct tempts 30-32c then thats fine

#69 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:51 PM

Awesome, thanks again Beermat!

#70 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:30 PM

Hi Danny

The main things absolutely necessary for tortoises to thrive are heat and light (lots of it). This is the main thing for you to think about. Tortoises heat up via thermoregulation, they take in heat via the shell and the shell stores it for a time, they can only do this by basking, not from ambient temps. You can sit in a room that is making you sweat and a tortoise will still feel cold to the touch, this is because he is not basking, this is what gets his temp up to 30 -32 degrees for him to optimise his existence. Google farm pig lamps and you will find lots of sites that sell clear infra red bulbs for around £5, will have a look for you later when I have walked the dog and cleaned the floor - again ;)  Tell your dad that torts don't work like we do that is because they are cold blooded and so cannot warm themselves without basking. DON'T turn the heater on, it's summer and it won't work anyway, just make them stay indoors.

The way I always think about light levels is to compare reading a book in the shed, with reading one outdoors on a sunny day - big difference ;)

#71 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

Okay that makes sense, thanks for that. I notice that the pig lamps arent UVA or UVB (I may be wrong though). So if this is the case can the torts still bask?

#72 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:31 PM

No, pig lamps are just heat. UVB is separate and if you decide to use it (as in not having outdoor access) then you need to provide it separately or by use of one of the very expensive combined bulbs. Forget bout uva, it's uvb you are looking for anyway.

#73 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 03:43 PM

Okay, so if I buy the pig lamp, will that be all I need? Like I said, the tortoises have access to go outdoors whenever they like and I have a combined 80watt bulb for cloudier days.

#74 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:47 PM

Yes, but you still need to increase high light levels which you don't really get from bulbs, you need to have some sort of tubular lighting or lots of lamps around the shed. I'm sorry but there really is no shortcut here. Are you relying on parents to help you out here? Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick ;)

#75 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

Okay thanks Sue. Yes I am relying on my dad to do the wiring for me, which is why I am reluctant to add more lights, in case he says that we cannot add any more plug sockets to the shed.

#76 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:02 PM

Okay, just let him know that it's pretty important that you get the lighting right as it might be wasting his time if you have to scrap the idea and take them back inside, that should do it lol. Hope he's not looking in :D

#77 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:02 PM

Okay, just let him know that it's pretty important that you get the lighting right as it might be wasting his time if you have to scrap the idea and take them back inside, that should do it lol. Hope he's not looking in :D

#78 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:23 PM

Hahaha, I shall give that a try, though I am sure he will be fine with the idea anyway! Thanks so much Sue, sorry to have bothered you (and everyone else) all this time, just a worried tortoise owner! :P

#79 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2014 - 07:41 AM

It's best to get it right first time around Danny, rather than find out I a years time that torty is  not well. Remember it takes a long time for tortoises to get sick and even longer to heal them usually, so questions are not a problem :D

#80 Dannyhorsley

Dannyhorsley

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 02:48 PM

Haha, thanks Sue! On rainy and/or cloudy days, what should I do? I normally turn on the lamp and heater for them and put some gem lettuce all around the shed so that they don't have to go outside, but still have to look for it. Once the new infrared lamp arrives, should I do the same, but instead of the heater, perhaps turn infrared lamp on and the combined UV bulb on so that they can take in both heat and UV light and stay warm at the same time?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users