Photo
- - - - -

Hiya- Im New And Wanting To Ask Some Questions :)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 katylb10

katylb10

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:43 PM

Hello everyone,

I really could do with some help please  :)

I got a Russian Tortoise (Macey) in November 2013 and got him as a baby, I'm not too sure when his actual birthday is, but the place where I got him from, which was a garden centre, told me the wrong information about them and I have been struggling with something's ever since. I first had a tortoise table and then got told it was wrong, so I changed to a vivarium and now I'm so glad that I have found this forum, as you all seem like you know what your talking about and I'm now going to change back to a tortoise table. Am I doing the right thing? (I'm worried, because I've heard so many different things)

I also got told to feed Macey on tortoise pellets, as that's what he had been brought up on. So I gave him a few pellets everyday, along with veg and a small amount of fruit. Me and my mum then took him to the vets, and he said that he was very healthy and a good weight for his size and age, although I got told to only feed him veg and no pellets, as he was being fussy. So I have done what was advised, but he just doesn't seem to want to eat much of any veg. What should I do?

Sorry its so long; I'm just really worried about him :(

One more thing, Macey is still small and for now he's got a 3ft by 1.5ft viv (which will be converted to a tortoise table.) My idea is to build bigger and bigger tables as he grows (he does have loads of space to move around at the minute though) Will this be ok for him?

sorry for so many questions I just really need a helping hand. Please help :)  Thank you x     

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:41 AM

Hi welcome to the forum. :)

you will find everyone here very friendly and happy to help. :)

1st of all, every thing you have been told is wrong, pet shops/ garden centre's etc don't always give the best advice, a tortoise table set up will be a lot better for him with topsoil as substrate, a viv is no good to house a tortoise in for a number of reasons, they get too hot and you can't always get the right temperature, a tortoise needs different temperatures so he has a choice, also they don't understand that they can see through the glass but can't get through which can stress them.

I would stop feeding the pellets, and also don't feed any fruit or veg as these are not a good diet for your tort, the best diet is weeds/ plants and flowers and there's loads about at the minute take a look on here it tells you if some thing is good to feed or not  http://www.thetortoi...e/plants_19.asp.

Also have a read through this I think you will find it very helpful  http://www.tortsmad.com/russians.htm

with a few changes you'll have a happy tort. :)

#3 katylb10

katylb10

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:05 AM

Hiya Karen,

Thank you so much for your help, I will make these changes as quickly as possible. :) Thanks

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:30 PM

Hi,

If you have any more questions or are a bit unsure of some thing just ask there's always someone around happy to help. :)

You'll have to post a photo of Macey. :)

#5 katylb10

katylb10

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

Will do, and thanks again for your help. Ill defiantly post some pictures soon :)

#6 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:41 PM

Welcome to the forum Katy, you will find lots of good advice here from members,of the forum, some of whom are very experienced in tortoise care. No matter how long we have had our torts there is always something to learn, or new ideas to discuss. X x x hugs x x

#7 katylb10

katylb10

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:01 PM

Hiya Stella,

Thankyou for making me feel welcome, i have found the feed back really helpful and i will continue to use this forum :) Thankyou

Katy :) x

#8 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:11 AM

Hi there :) 

I also own a little russian  :D

And Like everyone said, the best thing for your little guy would be a tortoise table. I have my little guy in a 54 gallon Rubbermaid Storage container, That will work great if you cant afford to build the table. I use regular top soil with some coconut coir mixed in. 

About his diet, he should be eating broad leaf weeds. Since i live in Oregon, the weeds he eats aren't common here. I feed him Spring mix (a bag from the grocery) And Dandelion. Fruit and pellets are a no. Calcium is also really good for them. I would try cuttle bone, Although my tort didnt like it, its a great source. If he doesnt want to eat that sprinkle some calcium on his food once or twice a week.  If hes picky about eating the weeds, he'll eventually eat them. Just dont give in!

Hope I helped some :P  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users