• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 katylb10

katylb10

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:35 PM

Macey was brought up on pellets by the garden centre I brought him from and today was the first time he managed to eat a whole dandelion leaf, and he loved it! :D :) so proud of him, finally eating the right things! :) x

#2 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2014 - 02:50 PM

FAB....did he try the flower Katy, let's hope Macey has a proper taste for weeds and that will be one less worry for you. Is everything else going well? X x x hugs x x

#3 katylb10

katylb10

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:21 PM

Hiya, he had a sniff and a look but hasn't tried the flower yet, hoping he will soon. And yes thank you everything is going great, I set up an inside garden today for him its in the conservatory with topsoil, edible plants, stones and just loads of things for him to climb on and over. He loves having the freedom :) I also put a picture of Macey on my profile, he'd just had a bath and was snuggling into his towel :)

Katy x

#4 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:16 PM

Great news katy :) keep up the good work,pellets are like sweets to kids,keep feeding the weeds,she wont starve her self so be strong and dont give in to temptation when she dont eat :)
Regards matt

#5 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

Sorry he lol

#6 katylb10

katylb10

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:31 PM

Hiya Matt, thank you :) and I'm trying not to give in :P I'm just finding it hard finding dandelions at the min, I can't find them anywhere! :)  I know winters ages away, but I was wondering what weeds do I feed Macey when it is winter? :P Thankss  

#7 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:32 AM

Where do you live Katey, there are loads of dandilions about at the moment.... And plantain which is a good alround food for torts.
X x x

#8 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:37 AM

Hi katy,
Im not stuggling to find weeds at the mo either same as stella,we have had a mild spring and winter here so as stella says dandilions,sow thistle and plantain are easy to find here.im guessing as you havnt had him long not not going to hibernate him this winter?if it was me giving everything goes well this summer for him i would hibernate him as its better for him and for you not having the worry of finding food :)
Regards matt

#9 katylb10

katylb10

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 03:57 PM

Hello, Stella and Matt, I live in the Nottingham area, and have decided not to hibernate Macey at all :) Today I did go on a long walk and managed to find some but I just seem to have none in my garden at all :P starting to wonder if I picked them all haha lol :D thanks for the advice guys, helps a lot Thank you :)

Katy x

#10 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:59 PM

Luckily i live in the country side so plenty on fields and country lanes to pick weeds here in somerset :)for macey's benefit you will have to hibernate her as otherwise she wont last long and will get problems later on in life
Regards matt

#11 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2014 - 06:28 PM

Hello Katey, I have to do a weed walk most days, unless I find a huge haul. I have various places I stop at on my way home from work. I also grow garden plants that are tort friendly, for added interest. X x x hugs xc

#12 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

There should be lots of weeds around right now if you can get into the country. I am managing to feed 15 adults/sub adults now. Just a little note, please don't take offence, but it's best to let torts dry naturally after bathing, just as in nature. Towelling dry can dehydrate the shell a little. Hope this helps.

#13 katylb10

katylb10

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:31 PM

Hello guys, thanks for the help and advice. Im worried about hibernating Macey as i've heard its really hard to do that some tortoises dont even wake up from it! Thankfully I have found a really good spot for finding leaves and plants now, and will keep going back :) Also thanks for the towel advice Sue, i didnt know that, as i got the information to dry Macey in a towel from the garden centre, but thats just another wrong thing they told me, the list is endless :L But thank you guys helps a lot :)

Katy x

#14 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:38 PM

I dare say the garden centre told you the hibernation horror stories too Katy :( Hibernation only goes wrong if we do it wrongly. Like all tortoise things, try to think reptile rather than mammal and it will be easy. There are lots of people here willing to help and I bet none of them have had tortoises die in hibernation, if they have followed the advice here ;)

#15 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:43 PM

I totally agree with sue,tortoise's mainly die in hibernation in captivity due to human error not their own.its very rarely that this happens,well ive luckily have been successfull with hibernations and have so many of the members on here!theres lots of bad advice given in pet shops and other retailers but to be honest hibernation if all well is a doddle.also your tortoise will thank you for it :)
Regards matt

#16 katylb10

katylb10

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:45 AM

Hiya sue, yer your right, it was the shop that told me and now its just made me worried! Uumm okay will someone tell me what i have to do for the hibernating season please :) I'll try my best to understamd, sorry if i ask millions of questions :) what age does Macey have to be? (he's not even a year old yet) 

Thanks everyone!

Katy x

#17 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

Hi Katy,

Have a read of this  http://www.tortsmad....hibernation.htm., also we have a section for hibernation you could also read through some of the posts on there,  :)  as for age Sue hibernates her hatchling from there 1st year. :)

#18 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:20 PM

Yes, I do, they get off to a really good start this way and I have not lost a baby yet to this practice. The key is to wind them down properly and make sure there is no food left inside - providing heat is given to keep the gut moving, this is easy to do, it just feels a bit wrong from a human point of view :)

#19 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:10 PM

Hi, Katy, I well understand your fear regarding hibernation, I felt the same way too when I first had Harry; indeed, my very first posting on this forum when I joined was regarding just that. I can assure you, it is nothing to be afraid of, it's a perfectly normal function of tortoises, it's in their genetic make-up to do so. As long as you follow the correct procedures, everything will be fine. As the time approaches, we'll all help you to ensure Macey experiences a successful wind-down and hibernation.

#20 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:14 PM

Hello Katy, even after many years if successful hibernation, it is always a time of worry and concern. So it is better for you to do it with good advice from the forum...,. And we shall all worry together. But this is not a concern for now..... September is when you should be asking for advice which gives you ample time to organise yourself.
Hibernation is done in a few different ways whether it is fridged, boxes or naturally and you will need to find out which is the best way for you and your circumstances.
Everyone hibernates their tortoise differently bit the basic principles are the same.
I would say for now, enjoy Macey, have a great summer putting on weight and getting to know each other, ( not you putting in weight) ..... And start preparing for hibernation later in the year x x x hugs x c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users