Lilac

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:01 PM

I read on the tortoisetable plant data base that the flowers and leaves of the lilac tree were ok to feed. I did try a few flower heads today and the torts who managed to eat it did so with enthusiasm.
My problem is that as a guide tort food is supposed to be stuff they would naturally eat in the wild but I guess they wouldn't come across lilac trees/bushes. And also, being a tree/bush, it is a food that they wouldn't normally be able to get to, although seeing the climbing expertise of some of my creep, this wouldn't be much of a problem.
I guess what I am asking is..... Is it really ok and does anyone else feed lilac. X x x hugs x x

#2 katylb10

katylb10

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:50 PM

Your not the onIy one who thought it was weird as something they would eat in the wild, but I did try Macey with lilac leaves and flowers but he wasn't interested at all, but I'm going to keep trying with him :) x

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 03 May 2014 - 09:21 PM

Hi stella,i tried giving a little bit of lilac to my bunch a while back but none of them touched it,the only way i guess they can eat them is when the flowers drop to the ground but im no plant expert so wouldnt know if it was a native bush in their natural enviroment lol
Regards matt

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:49 PM

I have seven lilac trees in my garden and none of the tortoises touch them, either fallen leaves or flowers/leaves fed to them. They are probably safe, which is what the tortoise table is mainly about, but it doesn't mean they will like them ;)

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:52 AM

Mine seem to love both the flowers and leaves. Which in one way is a bit of a pain because I was hoping to set one in their enclosure, but don't now fancy it being eaten before it takes hold. I think I will grow one in a pot for a few years until it gets a bit of height and sturdiness. X x x hugs x x

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:43 PM

Put a little fence around it, lilac grows very quickly and will soon become established. Mine are a bit of a nuisance and I would gladly give them away if moveable lol

#7 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:51 PM

I know what you mean Sue. I have three and live them at this time of year..... After that they become 'ordinary'.
I keep threatening to grow a clematis or something through them to add a bit of summer interest x x x hugs x x

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:11 PM

I'm just really allergic to them when flowering, so could do with replacing them completely. Sadly they are too big to dig up or I would offer them for free to anyone who wanted them :(

#9 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:40 PM

Oh dear Sue, that can't be good, so unlike me you are wishing the flowering will pass. I tried the torts with a few more flowers and leaves today when I came home from school and a different two ate them all up. I am feeling very lucky as it adds another 'easy' addition to their diet. X x x hugs x x

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:08 PM

If I had a vacuum packer I would send you some in the post lol My friend used to sell vac packed lavatera and hibiscus on ebay for the tortoise sanctuary funds :)

#11 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:13 PM

Thats a great idea sue,vaccume packing as im guessing thats a brill way of preserving them especially if needed over winter :)
Regards matt

#12 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:28 PM

I'm not sure how long they lasted Matt, but they were done fresh and posted and she used to get good feedback about them. I only wish I had surplus lavatera and hibiscus :)

#13 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2014 - 05:46 PM

Vacuum packed sounds great...... I might look into the pros and cons of doing it. Not that I should ever want to save tort food for winter cos all mine hibernate, but it could make sense if it lasts a few months packing up a mixture of food for when they come out of hibernation......I will get my other half to check it all out for me. X x x hugs x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users