#1 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:39 PM

I saw this poor thing for sale across facebook today and the women is wanting £275 for it,i woudnt pay a penny as looks riddled with MBD to mee but would love to rescue it!makes me so angry as this is a very common site now adays due to bad husbandry and advice :(Attached File  image.jpg   43.02KB   0 downloads

#2 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:08 PM

Aw, heck, I hate seeing things like this, poor little thing. I do hope it's quality of life is not too badly affected, and that some loving keeper will offer it a comfy home. 
If I didn't have Harry, I'd volunteer to house him/her myself  :wub:

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:51 AM

Sadly it is all too common. It will most likely not live long and will almost certainly be in pain with that level of deformity, as it will have been starved of the correct diet for a long time, probably all of it's life :(

#4 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:55 AM

I know its awfull to see Sue and Graham,but surely people can see this is not the correct shape for a tortoise to be!makes me so angry,leopards are such beautiful looking tortoises but seeing 1 like this makes me sad!he tooks tiny but with the bad deformity who knows his age and how long hes been suffering for :(

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

Would there ever be a case where it would be better to have a vet stop any suffering it's day to day life entails!! Just a question for debate.... And would we know the extent of its pain x x x

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:28 PM

When you think that metabolic bone disease is similar to osteoporosis in humans, it is generally considered to be pretty painful. The fact that the tortoise cannot sustain it's own weight enough to carry it's shell high from the ground, shows that there has to be a degree of pain involved. When people rehome tortoises with MBD, I always warn them to expect it to take a long time for recovery to show and even then, not to be surprised if there is a sudden relapse and even death. Very often they seem to be recovering, only to find that they cannot cope, which is sad for the owners after so much work has been put into helping them. I would say the one in the pic is a few years old and not a baby. It's probably had no supplementation and no uvb. Very sad :(

#7 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2014 - 02:54 PM

And would there be an argument for a vet to put the tortoise to sleep. Other pets like dogs and cats etc can show their pain in actions and eyes, and as 'responsible' owners the choice is to stop the suffering if it cannot be eased with medicines or operations.
As you say Sue the end result will be the same, but the poor thing had endured prolonged suffering. X x x hugs x x

#8 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:14 PM

Yes i agree guys!if we dont give cats and dogs the right requirements or miss treat them then this is braking the law so why is that people can miss treat reptiles and other animals and get away with it!makes me so angry

#9 WifWaf

WifWaf

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Oceanography, Jon likes moths but Jen most certainly does not not, Jen quite like spiders but Jon definitely does not, Tortoises, Photography, plants, Mr T

Posted 06 June 2014 - 01:37 PM

This really sad :(

It seems in violation of the "Animal Welfare Act 2006". Has this been reported? Are there any charities that can help in these cases as well?

x

#10 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:37 PM

I am not sure. I guess the problem regarding tortoises is that they have always been able to be bought and sold in this country for years.
I had tortoises growing up in the 50's and there was no checks on whether their needs were being met. Now obviously we know far more and I think because there is no set requirements for looking after tortoises, it will be tricky to monitor
For example.... Arguments for and against vivariums, outside/outside enclosures, hibernate it not.,....there is a huge requirement issue. X x

#11 WifWaf

WifWaf

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Oceanography, Jon likes moths but Jen most certainly does not not, Jen quite like spiders but Jon definitely does not, Tortoises, Photography, plants, Mr T

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:47 AM

Hi guys

While I agree that there is much debate regarding correct care of tortoises, when it comes to law the differences are not that dissimilar to a cat (tinned or fresh food, indoor or outdoor, multi or single cat households etc). The law see's common sense, i.e malnutrition, inadequate living space, protection from pain, access to vet care. The law doesn't nitpick over vivarium vs terrarium because a vivarium in itself is not abuse/neglect (you could for example have a football pitched sized viv with fans for heat gradients and substrate shipped from a Sicilian wild tortoise nest). The law will look at whether the animal is healthy and functioning as a result of the care provided. My suspicion is that the reason we don't hear of animal welfare cases with more exotic pets than cats or dogs is because people are under the impression that different laws apply and are unsure of what can be done so don't report it. This isn't the case and when reported enforcement can be very effective. In a case such as this the animal would be removed and assessed by a vet, if healthy then returned, if unhealthy it may be re-homed or if in pain which cannot be treated it would be put down.

Hopefully this little guy can still have a pretty awesome life whatever happens though, mistreated as it may be...it is exceedingly adorable

Jen x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users