• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 03:35 PM

hello everyone, I'm a bit concerned about one of my tortoises as I am beginning to see a ridge on her shell that looks very much like pyramiding. I have been keeping an eye on the shape and it is becoming more pronounced. I have two torts, both from the same breeder, both coming up one. I keep them both together so they have the same environment and access to same food and supplements. I water the substrate, which is top soil. I feed them fresh weeds daily. The other tortoise has a lovely smooth shell.... What should I do differently and why is this only happening to one of them? Help! Thank you, Kate

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:42 AM

Hi little miss,
I have to 7 yrs olds both females,both have always lived together in the same enviroment,1 has a lovely shell where as the other has an extra scute and her shell isnt as smooth!in captivity you will never get a perfect smooth shell no matter how hard you try!as long as you keep humity up and dont over feed and correct diet then its fine but if your that worried then please put some pics up!every tortoises shell is different shapes and sizes like us humans
Regards matt

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2014 - 02:38 PM

A lot will depend on where it sleeps and as Matt says, the amount fed too. If they dig in at night they will grow smoother shells, whereas if they go into hides etc, the surrounding air will be dryer and not contribute to smooth shell growth ;)  I have two sisters that grew at different rates and it was the slower growing one that is more lumpy, she used to sleep in the open or in a hide, whereas her sister always dug down and although quicker growing is much smoother. Hope this helps ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users