18 replies to this topic

#1 Heidiboo75

Heidiboo75

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:37 AM

Hi,

My girl laid her first clutch of eggs which are now incubating in a homemade incubator made from a poly box, heat mat, stat, bricks and tub of water for humidity.  The eggs are sat in small plastic tubs (the ones crickets etc come in) on damp vermiculite.  The humidity is at 69% but I'm struggling to get the temp above 28 degrees in the incubator even though the stat is cranked up higher.. Is the heat mat just not strong enough? (it covers the entire length of the bottom of the box) What am I doing wrong? How can I raise the temp??  I'm worried I'm going to spoil the eggs  PLEASE HELP!!!!

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

I replied on RFUK Heidi. I would add a small matt to the incubator and the stat for the bigger one will control the inner temps for you. The matt you have is obviously not high enough wattage for the area you are using, so you need to supplement it. At 28 degrees you may get failure, or you may get all male babies, neither of which is really desirable, especially if you sell to people with other tortoises as not many people want males. Do you know the subspecies too?

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:29 PM

I need help too sue,just got home to find my female digging a hole to lay,got the incubator set at 32c with bowls of water in it for humidity but no fermiculite to put them in,is there any thing else i can use?
Regards matt

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

Hi Matt

You can use good old soil or even sand. The results are the same - good luck :D

#5 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:34 PM

Thanks sue :) i quickly rushed to the local garden center as she hadnt layed before i left but when got home she had layed 4 and covered them up :)

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

Lovely :) Sometimes first eggs are infertile, but you never know, you might be lucky. Fingers crossed.

#7 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:04 PM

Yes fingers crossed cant wait so exciting :)
Thanks sue

#8 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:15 PM

Good luck with the eggs guys! :)

Best wishes

Freddy :D

#9 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:47 AM

Hi Heidi,

Welcome to the forum, best of luck with your eggs. :)

#10 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:52 AM

Yes fingers crossed cant wait so exciting :)
Thanks sue

Hi Matt, hopefully you'll get fertile eggs, I've been lucky and had fertile eggs from some females 1st eggs, best of luck with them. :)

#11 Heidiboo75

Heidiboo75

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:02 AM

Hi, thank you very much much for your replies and hope you are getting on ok aswell beermat89.. I didn't realise you were the same person on RFUK Sue, thank you so much for all your help so far, you have been wonderful.. your advice on the extra mat worked a treat and the temps are now settled at around 30 degrees, really thought that the large mat would give on a decent level of heat but it just didn't,  now just having a slight issue with humidity, cant get it above 60%, have ordered a third hydrometer just incase its that, someone suggested on RFUK that I should line the box with a bin liner to stop the polybox absorbing the humidity, Im just worried about messing with the eggs too much.. Is this worth doing?  what is the lowest acceptable humidity level?  The subspecies is Boergetti Sue 

#12 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

Hi karen,hope they are fertile as ive never tried breeding until now but time will tell :)what size clutches do yours lay?she only laid 4 so do think she could be holding more?
Hi heidi, welcome to the forum :)yes im in a bit of a panic with eggs too as it the first year ive tried breeding them as havnt felt confident enough too previously :s.hope everything goes well with yours
Regards matt

#13 sparklepanties1975

sparklepanties1975

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

Temps and humidity are now settled at 30.9 degrees and 79% respectively, does this sound ok? Thanks ☺️

#14 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

Glad to help :) Polybox's don't absorb humidity as they are waterproof. I would not line it as it could encourage mould. If you have plenty of water in there, don't worry, it could be your hygrometer at fault. The hair ones are pretty sensitive, but those little viv ones are rarely accurate. I think you mean boettgeri (eastern subspecies)  ;)

#15 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2014 - 05:34 PM

4 is a good clutch size for a first timer Matt. More can be laid around 21 days later if conditions are right, but it is unusual for them to retain unlaid eggs unless there is a health problem.

#16 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 09:10 PM

Ok brill thanks sue,since she laid them shes been fine in herself,out in the sunshine feeding so ive got no worries with her health

#17 sparklepanties1975

sparklepanties1975

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 03:44 PM

Hi, I've candled the eggs today and if you shine the torch straight up from underneath there are 2 eggs that have a round shadow at the top? Is this normal development? They have been in the incubator 5 days now.. Thanks

#18 sparklepanties1975

sparklepanties1975

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 06:31 PM

Attached File  image.jpg   31.37KB   1 downloads

What is this please? Is this normal development?

#19 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:52 AM

Disturbing the eggs too much will make them more likely to fail, as they are sensitive to vibration etc Candling will not prove anything at this stage anyway, as changes in the shell are not indicative of fertility. The more you move the eggs, the more likely you are to damage the embro. Candling can be done from above if you need to know at a later stage if the egg is fertile or not. I never move mine once buried to be honest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users