• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ditzyangeluk

ditzyangeluk

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:56 PM

Does anyone breed, have or know anyone that does, a Hermann Tortoise for sale, in the Suffolk area?

I am located in Sudbury Suffolk

Much appreciated

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:37 PM

What subspecies please?

#3 ditzyangeluk

ditzyangeluk

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:44 PM

Sorry, only just seen your reply!  Subspecies?  Guess that really does make me a newb .. any Hermann please

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:38 PM

It's just that if you already have one, you will need to get the same subspecies if getting another one. Subspecies should not be mixed for many reasons. If you show pics of your present tortoise(s) someone will tell you what subspecies you have ;)  Hope this helps :D

#5 ditzyangeluk

ditzyangeluk

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

Don't have a tortoise yet.  Complete newb and starting out!

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:07 PM

OK, so it won't matter what subspecies then. Testudo hermanni hermanni are slightly smaller and less hardy and not so easy to find. Boettgeri are more widespread and it would be easier to match up with another at a later date if required and hercegovinensis are slightly less widely available than boettgeri but around the same size. All have gthe same husbandry requirements. I might be able to help you with someone near if you contact me offlist - their contact is also available on the Tortsmad breeders list page. www.tortsmad.com

#7 ditzyangeluk

ditzyangeluk

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:46 PM

Tried to send you a message offlist but it said you can't receive messages?!

Anyway ... Due to a bereavement in the family, I am now having to wait until August before getting a tortoise.  However, I would be grateful if you could let me know of the one local to me (I can't find it on the Tortsmad breeders list page. www.tortsmad.com)  Or if you could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

Oh dear, sorry about the bereavement. It's unlikely you will find one on the doorstep, so you might have to go to the next county. You can message me via Tortsmad (not sure why this one is not working) or you can always get me on wizzasmum@aol.com Good luck.

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:35 PM

m3ndatus@yahoo.co.uk - his name is Ted and he is in Suffolk ;)

#10 ditzyangeluk

ditzyangeluk

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:37 PM

Thank you.  I have emailed him previously and did not receive a reply.  Will hold on to it - it may have changed somewhere along the line.  Thank you

#11 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:21 AM

If you have no response from this breeder at all, please get back to me so that I can remove him from my list. Thanks!

#12 ditzyangeluk

ditzyangeluk

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:27 AM

Sorry I didn't get back to you regarding Ted and the email address you gave me .. but no, I did not receive a response despite various tries of email variation ;-)

#13 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:37 PM

I shall try to contact him re his tortoises and ask him if he still has any for sale. Thank you for getting back to me.

#14 ditzyangeluk

ditzyangeluk

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:24 PM

Did you manage to contact him .. Or do you know of anyone else - my friend is looking.  Many thanx

#15 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:55 PM

No, he did not reply to me either. I have four hermanns available for adoption but to experienced homes only.

#16 ditzyangeluk

ditzyangeluk

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:31 PM

I do already have a Hermann, 2 years old, approx 8cm.  Trouble is, with no personal transport, I would have to have couriered service

#17 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:21 PM

I would have to know what accommodation you have for them and what subspecies yours is, but there is no way I advocate the use of couriers.

#18 ditzyangeluk

ditzyangeluk

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:13 PM

Ok, thanx but I have no personal transport unfortunately so would have no way of getting

#19 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:21 PM

You really need to find out the subspecies, wherever you get them from as cross breeding is not a good idea to be honest. There are three separate subspecies of hermanns.

#20 Aaron75

Aaron75

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Reading, swimming, eating, sleeping.

Posted 27 September 2014 - 07:30 AM

Hi,

I am thinking about caring for a Tort after my little chap died :-(. I got the last Tort from White Post Farm and they have offered me another one at a reduced rate but I am unsure if to go back to them or to get one from a UK breeder. What are your thoughts and would you consider letting me adopt one from you? If so how much do you charge?

I can collect and am happy to answer any questions you have. I have a indoor tortise table and a large outdoor tortise area.

Thank you Aaron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users