• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 becky1104

becky1104

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:32 PM

Hi all, I brought my first ever tortoise Wednesday iv put her in a plastic tank like thing at the mo (terrain are they called) anyway iv got a basking light,a uv bulb and a heat mat. My question is what do I leave on at night for her?? Do I turn it all off?I dont want her to get cold!! Shes burying herself under the soil atm im worried that she cold.
Thanks in advance
becky x

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

Hi Becky - are you in US? We need to know what species of tortoise you have, as there are so many different requirements for different tortoises. Burying down into the substrate at night is perfectly natural and they actually need a temperature change as part of their natural development. You do not need a heat mat, indeed it can be quite dangerous in some setups. Once we know what species you have we can give some advice to help you :)

#3 becky1104

becky1104

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:19 PM

Hi
oh yes I forgot to mention that sorry. Shes a hermann tortoise I live in the uk. So I dont need a heat mat so what light do I leave on at night for her (if any) I Presume the the uv light goes off? I dont want her to hibernate either so im worried if she gets too cold and gets comfy in the soil she will hibernate?
Thanks becky x

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:31 PM

Hi Becky

Your tortoise needs an open topped accommodation, never an enclosed vivarium type one. Hermanns are from the Mediterranean, where temps drop incredibly low at ground level overnight. No heating or lighting is needed overnight, even in winter when indoors. My hermanns of various ages are outdoors 24/7 now and thriving. They have lived and bred this way for many years now (30+ years keeping and 15 years breeding). It is a mistake to keep them warm permanently as they need to be able to choose their own temps and humidity. She will not hibernate in the summer, even if you provide her with no additional heat for several days. They need to get down to 5 degrees for this to happen, so not until wintertime. Hibernation helps with nice smooth growth, so maybe something to consider when the time approaches. It's what they have evolved to do. This is how I keep mine - www.tortsmad.com/hatchlings.htm

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:45 AM

Hi Becky, welcome to the forum. :)

As Sue has already said it will be a lot better for your tortoise to have an opened top enclosure.

I would  have a read through Sue's care sheet as it's really good, and if you have any more questions just ask there's always someone around happy to help. :)

#6 becky1104

becky1104

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:32 AM

Thank you everyone for the help much appreciated. Im going to make a cuppa and have a read through the information now thanks again
becky x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users