• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

Attached File  image.jpg   35.59KB   1 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   52.98KB   0 downloads

They hatched last Wednesday....my sons birthday, and weighed 18gms and 16gms..... A third was hatched on Thursday and was 16gms. They are perfect. Another egg looks as though there is movement x x x hugs x x

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:44 AM

Hi Stella,

Their gorgeous, are these the 1st babies you've had. :)

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

They are Karen, I have tried for a couple of years with no joy. Last year I got an external temp/humidity devise and the incubator was WAY out. X x x hugs x x

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

Congratulations on your first hatchlings, Stella. :wub:  I'm delighted for you. :)  Best of luck with them. ;)

Kind Regards

Freddy :D

#5 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

How cute stella :) cant wait to see if mine hatch now looking at yours :)

#6 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:44 PM

I have been spending hours watching the Babe Six and have noticed that some of their shells are not completely symmetrical. This seems to be on the babes that took a while to hatch completely from their eggs. Is this what can happen? Or something I have done during incubation x x x hugs x x

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2014 - 05:41 PM

Do you just mean the shape or scute formation? Odd shaped babies straighten up within a couple of days if they have enough substrate to dig down into and it is not too dry. Odd scute formation is normally temperature dependant, but can be genetic too.

#8 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:17 PM

I guess both Sue....... The first three babes have perfect scutes.... The second three have odd scute formation. One of the babes has a slightly steeper curve on one side of her shell. They have 3 inches of soil substrate that is kept damp. Neither parent has odd shaped scutes so can I presume it was the temperatures? But then why were the first three, hatched 4 days previously, hatched with perfect scutes.Attached File  image.jpg   56.45KB   0 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   52.19KB   0 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   69.39KB   0 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   84.47KB   0 downloads

#9 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2014 - 08:22 AM

Could be the position in the incubator or the humidity levels in there, especially if the eggs were totally exposed to the air rather than being covered more.

#10 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

Attached File  image.jpg   41.42KB   0 downloads

New babe hatched today....20gms.......

I checked and rechecked this weight as it seems heavy, but she is a stocky little thing.
She was bang on 60 days, will there be a reason why they are all so heavy, the eggs were from one of my older girls,
X x x hugs x x x

#11 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:12 AM

Hi Stella,

Lovely hatchling, this year all my horsfield hatchlings are off two females, one females babies were about 12/14g  the other females babies were more like 17/18g :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users