Hibernating Babes

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:59 PM

I know it is early to be thinking about this but I have to make plans.
As many of you will know my torts hibernate in the soil in Tort Lodge Gardens and the Oldies in deep soil in the greenhouse hide. Although I like to think of it as 'natural', in that the torts make up their minds when to hibernate, the feeding and heat is controlled by myself, but sometimes I loose the battle to keep them up if their instincts say 'hibernate'
I have the six hatchlings now and would like to hibernate them for whatever is the required amount of time. I need advice please so I can sort it all in my head.
My thoughts are that I could hibernate them in deep soil in a wooden box and put the box in where the oldies hibernate, the temps being regulated to 5 degrees. Would this work? They were hatched in the middle of June, and I know Sue, you have hibernated babes.
X x x hugs x x x

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

Yes, this would work - all my babies hibernate in their first winters. I like to give them a hibernation before selling them to set them off on a good growth pattern. I would stick to 8 weeks max, to fall in line with what they would have in the wild and depending on weight, wind down between 2 and four weeks, using gradual heat and light reduction, same as the biggies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users