Educating The Masses

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

As we all know, information on tortoise keeping can be very outdated and recently while studying for a diploma in animal care, I was concerned when completing the unit on reptiles and amphibians the information on feeding tortoises was incorrect.

It stated that they should be fed:

"Lettuce, clover, grass, tomatoes, fruit, cucumber.
Will sometimes eat raw fish or meat which should be supplemented with calcium carbonate at the rate of 0.5 gram per 100 grams of meat fed.
Cereals, bread, tinned dog food can be tried (not to form major part of diet as can cause liver disease)."  :(

As a result I contacted the course team and have actually had an email back saying that as a result of my concerns they are amending the course material and these changes will take effect within 48 hours! RESULT!! ;)   :thumbup:

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:02 PM

Animal care diplomas have been vastly outdated for decades and even my little granddaughter was horrified to see how our local college was keeping its tortoises and teaching this to it's students, at this years open day. In your colleges case, they even got the dog food bit wrong, it's the kidneys that would be affected, not the liver.

Who did they say they were getting their new info from as the one near to us has been updated within the last couple of years and is still dire :( It's really worrying isn't it and I would like to bet that none of these lecturers has even seen a tortoise in wild conditions.

#3 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

That's great, Kelly. Well done. ;)  You have no doubt changed aspects of that diploma course for the better. Always knew you had hidden talents. :)

Kind Regards

Freddy :D

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:06 PM

That's great news Kelly.......any plans to deliver such courses yourself!!!! Hugs x x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users