• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 10:42 PM

Hello! So ive noticed Little foot has gotten a little heavier... and Im not exactly sure what to use to weigh him, and I was wondering if he was getting TO big.... He seems to have little fat pockets in his arm pits, butt and shoulders... when I went to the vet he said it was good for him to have a little, but hes packed on a little bit more since then.

I was wondering what the weight should be for a 4 inch male russian tortoise... and how to weigh him. And if he is over weight, how do I get him to lose it, thanks!

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2014 - 01:48 PM

You really need to weigh him to know if he is gaining too much. There is no reliable way of knowing what a good weight is for his size as all Russians tend to be different shapes and sizes. If you are referring to the bloated looking bits at the tops of Russians front legs, then this is not fat, but is a perfectly normal part of their anatomy. If his fron legs looks noticeably fatter and the scales tend to stand proud then this is a different matter and he might be overweight. Pics will help, but you really do need to weigh him - not sure what you mean about not knowing how to do it. Put a small plantpot on your normal scales (upside down), set to zero and sit tort on top with legs hanging down. Keep a note of the weight and see how much he is gaining each month.

#3 LittlefootTheRussian

LittlefootTheRussian

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

Okay. Ill try that then. Ill try to get some pictures today when I get home as well. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users