• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 h20

h20

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

Can anyone please advise how much Panacur we need to give our two Hermann tortoises and which one to buy from this list from Pets at home as it's a bit confusing and we are doing this for the first time....usually a vet does this but the tortoises don't take kindly to it so we would like to try ourselves.
LINK: Search Results

Our oldest tortoise weighs 2.4kg and our youngest weighs 1.3kg
All help and advice much appreciated.
Thanks

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

You need the one for puppies and kittens and you give two syringe graduations per kilo of tortoise. There is a very wide safety margin so a small error over the top will be fine. If you are giving directly into the mouth, hold behind the head on the neck when opening mouth, never hold the head itself ;) Hope this helps.

• h20 likes this

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

Is there a reason why the torts head shouldn't be held Sue? X x x hugs x

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:45 AM

Because you can very easily dislocate or fracture a jaw or worse. They are very strong when withdrawing the head, so if you exert enough pressure to stop them, injury is a very high possibility. I've even seen torts that vets have damaged and said nothing about. Always hold the neck behind the head on the neck for this reason.

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:08 AM

It makes sense, thanks for that, it is good to know the reason behind the advise x x hugs x x

#6 h20

h20

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:30 AM

Many Thanks x

#7 h20

h20

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:40 PM

You need the one for puppies and kittens and you give two syringe graduations per kilo of tortoise. There is a very wide safety margin so a small error over the top will be fine. If you are giving directly into the mouth, hold behind the head on the neck when opening mouth, never hold the head itself ;) Hope this helps.

Just to get things clear I need to buy this Panacur? 

http://www.petsathom...and-puppies-5gm

I have weighed our tortoises and they are 2.4kg and 1.3kg so for the first tortoise I need to give four syringe graduations and the second I need to give two...is that correct?

One other question if I may please....I have been told that they need to be done three times in the space of three weeks, is this correct or is once enough?

Thanks x

#8 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

Yes, that is the one - 5 graduations for the bigger one and 3 for the smaller one. If you have not seen worms then once is enough to keep the numbers down and if you have, then give one dose and another two weeks later.

#9 h20

h20

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:34 PM

Yes, that is the one - 5 graduations for the bigger one and 3 for the smaller one. If you have not seen worms then once is enough to keep the numbers down and if you have, then give one dose and another two weeks later.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Just one other thing...is it easier to just squirt it in to their mouth or can it be put on to a favourite food for them to eat?

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

So long as you are confident at holding them behind the head I find this much easier. Get it as far back as possible on the tongue and don't worry about the surplus bit that comes out. If you put it on food you will have to be sure that each tortoise eats the right sandwich lol. I have spread it between two leaves before now and they have eaten it without even noticing.

#11 h20

h20

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

So long as you are confident at holding them behind the head I find this much easier. Get it as far back as possible on the tongue and don't worry about the surplus bit that comes out. If you put it on food you will have to be sure that each tortoise eats the right sandwich lol. I have spread it between two leaves before now and they have eaten it without even noticing.

Thanks for all your help...will get some tonight and let you know how it goes. x  :)

#12 h20

h20

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 08:23 AM

So sorry, totally forgot to update on progress of giving our Tortoises the Panacur :rolleyes:....it was so easy I don't know why we worried about doing it....great advice about holding them behind the neck, it really made a different knowing how to do this properly without casuing any discomfort to the Tortoise.

Just one more thing....I realise it has been nearly a year since I asked worming but how often do Tortoises need worming...is once a year enough or should they be done more often?

#13 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:49 AM

Only do more often if you see worms. Glad you liked the neck rather than head advice. Makes everything so much safer ;)

#14 misspbluedeva

misspbluedeva

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my little Pebble, 2yr old Testudo Hermanni

Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:03 PM

I just wanted to say thank you for this post. I just gave my lil Hermann "Pebble" her panacur, I used the leaf sarnie method and it was all eaten within a couple of mins. Pebble didn't even notice what she was eating ;) I will do a new fecal test in 10 days-ish and repeat if needed. But Thank you for all your help and advise :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users