- - - - -

A rather crude question

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bunnychan_*

Guest_bunnychan_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:23 PM

Well its not that crude but thought i had better set the tone.
What does it mean if a tortoise no longer has white substance in his wee? My torty used to have it but its seems to have suddenly stopped.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Sharlene x

#2 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:24 PM

Maybe your feeding it the wrong diet honey, what colour is it's pee and is it still pooing ok.:)

#3 Guest_bunnychan_*

Guest_bunnychan_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:30 PM

Wow that was fast!
I feed it a mixture of things mainly florretti crispy salad with pansies and other plants listed as safe. His poohs tend to be dark greeny-brown and he has a strong appetite. He hates being bathed although I still do it and at the mo he seems quite reserved.I add a light dusting of nutrabol and limestone with the ratio I was suggested on here.

(I left him a challanged today though, I hid his food around his tank lol!)

Thanks for replying soon.

#4 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:32 PM

How long has the white stuff been gone from his pee?

#5 Guest_bunnychan_*

Guest_bunnychan_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:34 PM

Im not sure just over a week i think
wow super fast again , thanks!

#6 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:36 PM

I wouldn't worry, mine sometimes have the white stuff missing from their pee, but it always returns, often on the carpet. lol:)

#7 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:40 PM

I would not worry, This is from the tortoise trust:
The white substance is urates (concentrated uric acid). It's a perfectly normal product of protein metabolism, but if it's being passed more than a couple of times a week, it can indicate too much protein in the diet.

#8 Guest_mattgriffin1_*

Guest_mattgriffin1_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:49 PM

My torts more often than not don't pass urates and have always been that way. I haven't been concerned about it though, all things being equal.

Matt.

#9 Guest_bunnychan_*

Guest_bunnychan_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2005 - 04:53 PM

When i first had him, the place we brought him from fed him pellets and now he is feed fresh food daily. He used to pass urates regulary so could it just be the change in diet?

How come everyones torty but mine likes being bathed as well?:)
Thanks again for a speedy reply

#10 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:02 PM

I have some tortoises that do like being bathed and some that dont. All tortoises are different and they all have different personalities. When i bath my reds i cannot leave my sub adult reds in with the adults as they go mad and try and walk all over the adults.

#11 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:07 PM

All ours love it and stretch their legs out in the warm water, it's so funny to watch.:)

#12 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:12 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 15-12-05 AT 05:12 PM (GMT)]After the sub adult reds have had a bath we let the adults in and we turn the lights out, if we bath them at night, they love it, as red foots love the dark.
My horsfeild is funny when he has a bath, he is so active and when you put him in the bath he just stops still and looks like he is sky diving.

#13 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:13 PM

Yeah thats exactly right, sky diving, aint they just sooo cute.:)

#14 Guest_mattgriffin1_*

Guest_mattgriffin1_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 December 2005 - 08:06 PM

Yes the change in diet will definately affect the urate levels. Pellets are very high in protein and are very bad for tortoises. It is the protein metabolism which leads to urate production so she is producing less urates now she is getting less protein.

Matt.

#15 Guest_KERRYPUDGE1_*

Guest_KERRYPUDGE1_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2005 - 09:45 AM

My tortoise likes his bath but always puts his head right under the water for ages which worries me slightly.does anyone elses tortoise do this?

#16 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:17 AM

Hello Kerry,
This is how they drink, if you look carefully at the side of the neck you will see him gulping it, the length of time under the water depends on how thirsty they are, stop worrying he won't drown himself.
The water level should come to the base of the mouth so he has to dip his head to drink
Arnie

#17 Guest_KERRYPUDGE1_*

Guest_KERRYPUDGE1_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:43 AM

thanks for the advice Arnie on this and the other thread. i will relax now. thought i had a tortoise on a suicide mission. he loves his baths. thanks for the advice on the calcium.i will do that this weekend its a learning curve(i did do my research before buying but you still learn as you go along)
Kerry

#18 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2005 - 08:05 PM

Kerry I am still learning and things are changeing all the time
When I first started it was paper for bedding, then towels, then soil and sand and now the odd problem is cropping up with that, so Aubiose (hemp) is replacing it, but all the time things are improving for the tortiose, so I keep learning and changing, you need an open mind and the old saying your never to young or to old to learn
Arnie

#19 Guest_Simon_*

Guest_Simon_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2005 - 08:19 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 23-12-05 AT 08:20 PM (GMT)]Yes, things change all the time where tortoise keeping is concerned. I remeber the time when it was the done thing to feed them dog food. Also thoughts on hibernation have changed a great deal aswell over the years. You would never have heard anyone say that they don't hibernate as this was the done thing but these days it's more widely admitted and accepted. More and more people are choosing not to hibernate and that just shows you how things change.

#20 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2005 - 08:24 PM

Your absolutely right Simon, ours thrive on being awake all year and this year it's all of em.:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users