- - - - -

A rather crude question

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_KERRYPUDGE1_*

Guest_KERRYPUDGE1_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2005 - 08:32 PM

I will keep an open mind. ive only had Alan for about a month so its quite new.This forum is great for advice and most people are singing from the same hymn sheet so to speak.Merry Christmas!

Kerry

#22 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2005 - 08:03 AM

The main reason for not hibernating tortoises is keepers are scared, in case their tortoise dies in hibernation. If kept correctly then they will hibernate without any problems, as they have been doing for millions of years out of their choice.
You need to read up from the most up to date sites eg TortoiseTrust, www.thetortoisehouse.com, www.tortoises.net. Preferably not sites that are trying to sell things to you.

#23 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:00 PM

Well on that one we will have to agree to disagree
Arnie

#24 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:32 PM

so is hibernation not an essential thing with torts cos im not sure about it yet?

#25 Guest_Jo_Lo_*

Guest_Jo_Lo_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2005 - 06:39 AM

Hi Dan

Do your research on this one and make an informed decision.

I too am quite new to tort keeping and there is a lot of conflicting advice, in the end you do have to go with what you feel is right for you and your torts.

I have hibernated Raphael because he was bought from a reputable breeder, is healthy and the correct weight on the Jackson's ratio. Reus, however did not come to me via a breeder & I'm not too sure of her history, but I have monitored her & am thinking about winding her down through January & hibernating for 8 weeks.

I am using the fridge hibernation method as I wanted to be able to control temps etc.

Take care Jo

#26 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2005 - 04:45 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-12-05 AT 04:46 PM (GMT)]We are tortoise keepers and we are certainly not "afraid" to hibernate our tortoises as Amy put it, we choose not to as we don't breed from them and we like having them around all year. They are happy and healthy. If you read what people think about hibernation on other tortoise forums you will see that there are more people now that choose not to hibernate, even those that breed find they have had 100% results even from not hibernating so that just goes to show there is still not enough proof that not hibernating is bad thing.:)

#27 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2005 - 07:40 PM

hi omare, so hav all ur torts lived long lives in the past cos ive heard stories about torts tht dont hibernate n they only live half the length of ones tht do. i think i would b the same as u, not so much afraid to hibernate but because i like having them around all year :-)

#28 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2005 - 07:43 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-12-05 AT 07:52 PM (GMT)]Honey go and read this thread posted on another forum by a lady called Veronica called simply hibernation, she has tortoises that are 50 plus, also read the replies.

http://www.livefoods...showtopic=41151

:) Theres 3 pages of replies.

#29 Guest_torty_less_*

Guest_torty_less_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2005 - 10:19 PM

ok thanks omare, ive stored it in my favourite places, so ill hav to hav a read over it later, i think ill end up doing wot u do tho in the end. i like having my torts around too much to hibernate but i mite let them decide themselves next year wen i know more about it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users