#1 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:49 PM

Hi guys,came across this article with a female Hermanns being the oldest pet at 116.shes lived all her life in the garden and hibernating naturally for 6 months a year and still fit and healthy.amazes me how hardy and adaptable these beautiful creatures are :)has never been made a trip to the vets in her life!

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:47 AM

I'm wondering how they know it is 116 if they were not there when it hatched :laugh:  There are probably lots of tortoises this age still, as given correct conditions, they will live to a ripe old age. Our Old Tilly is estimated to be 100+ and still lays eggs each year bless her. Glad I'm not a tortoise :ohmy:

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

I did think that sue but its been passed down through generations in the family and was bought in a london market in 1898 for £1 so could be older!yes i agree i bet theres tortoises much older out there some where which no one knows about.with out heating and human aid do you think this is just pure luck its reached this age?

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:31 PM

Not to piddle on anyone's fire lol, but there seem to be several discrepancies in that story. Apparently it is in perfect health and has never needed a vet and yet it has a partial front leg amputation, plus they say it lays empty eggs because of it's age, did they not think it might be because it needed a male lol. They also say it cost £1 at a local market, which in those days was more than many earned in a week and more than they cost in the 70's and 80's in UK. I personally think it is just someone looking for a good story in the paper and I hope it means it is not going to get stolen now as many people will now know where it lives free in the garden. I would say looking at it's shell, it's habitat has changed in recent years, showing that not all gardens are suitable for keeping a tortoise in these conditions. It could well have been that it had a south facing sloping garden garden for many years and has more recently moved to one that is not so likely to be able to support a tortoise with no additional help. When I got Old Tilly, she had spent many years living in a garden with her own greenhouse which no doubt helped, but for several years she had been fed organic lettuce and tomatoes, grown in this greenhouse for her. No doubt her owners thought they were doing the very best for her, but she walked low to the ground and was not very lively. It took a long time but she is now very lively and has babies each year bless her. Left with her organic diet, she might not be here now unless she was able to forage for weeds too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users