• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 pam

pam

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

Hi as Daisy was getting a little too cozy in her insulated house and was spending more time in than out I've now decided to close hatch so she has to stay out more, the thing is she sleeps under a log each night and not in the cold frame should I move her each night or leave her where she is. Thanks

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

Is she definitely fit Pam? It's unusual for a tortoise not to want to go out at this time of year. Are you heating her indoor area, is that possibly the problem?

#3 pam

pam

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

Hi Sue yeh I'm sure she's fine her eyes are bright, no runny nose,  her indoor house does get very warm,  she has been going out but just not for long having a bit bite to eat, then back again, I have been away and I've  decided to not let her go into house but to leave her in outside in her enclosure, she has plenty shelter, and just leave her and see what she does, its only been a few days since I done this but she is getting up each day I assume having a wander as she is in a different place when I come back as I am now at work, and some of the food has gone. She was wormed a few weeks ago im going to send  sample off as soon as I can. 

I'm off tomorrow so I will be able to check  to see what she's doing, and how active she is, knowing my luck the weather will be dull and damp and she'll not want to go out :)

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:24 PM

Try switching the heat off in the indoor area Pam, it's not needed at this time of year except in bad weather. If she gets too hot she will aestivate.

#5 pam

pam

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:23 PM

There is no heating on inside her house, at the moment it gets very warm sometimes due to it been well insulated I think, I have to open the door in the afternoon when I'm home as it's too hot

#6 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

What sort of door is it? Have you tried flooding the area? How big is it?

#7 pam

pam

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

Il try putting a pic on so you can see

#8 pam

pam

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

the second pic is where I open the hatch each day for her to come and go as she likes into her outside enclosure.

#9 pam

pam

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:24 PM

I've just put a light in to see if that helps to make it brighter, I'll try her tomorrow, once the sun made an appearance she came out of her plant pot started eating and having a wander, I must admit I did feel sorry for her when she kept going over to where her ramp is and couldn't get in so I've left it open for her for tomorrow.

#10 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

Hi pam,
I don't know if this is any help but I don't have a hides In my chicken coop and not using any lighting or heating now.it has a large door wich I've got the coop south facing so when I open the door up in the morning as soon as I wake,by the time I've had a cuppa and go out the door to work they are out basking so try taking the plant pot out maybe and change the position of the door?
Regards matt

#11 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:41 PM

Do you have pics of your setup Pam. I think we are getting different pics in our minds lol.

#12 pam

pam

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

Hi Sue which pics would you like I can easily take some, do you want the outside enclosure or in her house? All that is in there is a plant pot in the corner, lights and tubular heater for when needed.
I must admit since I stopped her going in on a night she been much better, not like she was, she seems more like she should be, if you know what I mean.

Matt I cant change the door around, it wouldn't make any difference, and she has a hatch opening separate that gets the sun first thing in the morning which is on the side.

#13 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:25 PM

I think half of the problem is that you have soil in the dark area of her hide area and then she somehow has to come out onto a wooden area, which includes a drop down. It would probably work better if the hide/shed was not raised and if she came out onto a more natural area it might help.

#14 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:44 PM

I don't know if this helps ....... But when we made a hide in the greenhouse for the older torts to hibernate in, I had it all enclosed apart from a hatch which in my head, said torts would use to go in and out. In reality, it was far too dark for them to be motivated. So I made it so the solid wooden wall could be removed.
At this time of year it stays off so torts get daylight from 6am and usually come straight out into Tort Lodge Gardens. Hugs x x x

#15 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

That's an idea Stella, or use a Perspex roof that lets natural light in when the sun rises ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users