Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

Hi guys,
It's 7weeks today that my eggs have been layed,today I candled them very gently,3 of the eggs are see through with the odd black shadow located at the top of the eggs, but the other 1 is sold black which no light will pass through,do you think it could be rotten?my temps are 31-33c in the incubator.
Help and advice will be appreciated
Regards matt

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:20 PM

A nearly full term baby will show as solid black Matt. I would not let them go to 33 as that is a bit on the high side. Anything over 32 can produce deformities. If it was rotten you would smell it - the others sound as though they have failed, although you never know and stop flipping candling them lol

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

Haha ok sue,i didnt turn them,i candled them from the top lol.i will knock the temp down then so it cuts out at 32c.the egg doesnt smell so hopefully it is a baby :).i waited now to candle them as i didnt want to disturb the embryo.is it human error that the other 3 failed or is this common?

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:29 AM

It's impossible to say Matt. I don't get 100% fertile eggs all the time, as I let my tortoises do their own thing and if  a female wants to get away from a male, then I remove him so she can have some peace. Some breeders do pen them closely to be more sure of success, but I am more for the welfare of the animal, so don't do this. Young tortoises often have infertile first clutches, so no-one is necessarily to blame. I don't want to come back as a female penned tortoise, that is for sure lol

#5 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

I supose 100% hatch rate in the wild would be rare too due to preditors are other various reasons.in my large pen i have log roll braking the pen up to give the females a chance to hide away from him for a while if need be but to be fair hes not too bad but on very hot days like today gets his testosterone going lol

#6 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

Matt, this year I have managed six lovely hatchlings, all hatched within four days of each other, two on exactly 60 days. I have other eggs incubating, four that I 'found' and am unsure when they were laid, though I do believe I caught them soon after laying if the female I suspect was the correct one. However these look to be maturing at different stages. And one looks about ready.
Another four eggs are from a first time layer, and they look fertile too. X x x x

#7 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:03 PM

How are the eggs Matt? X x x hugs x x x

#8 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:36 PM

Hi stella,
Well i havnt candled them since but still waiting on that one egg to start cracking but hasnt happened yet!as for the other 3 im not sure but like you said they could mature a little later so will hold on to them!you got your hands full with babies this year then:)
Regards matt

#9 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

Yes I had another one hatch yesterday... 17gms... So glad it is the school summer holidays so at home all day..., x x x hugs x x

#10 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

Thats a nice healthy weight then stella :)yes i bet as would be a bit manic otherwise and worry if you wernt home :)
Regards matt

#11 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:27 AM

Hi guys,
I checked the eggs last night before bed around 11.30 pm and noticed that the 1 egg has started to hatch,theres a hole appeared but when i looked again this morning theres no more progress,do you think its struggling or is this perfectly normal?
Regards matt

#12 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:56 AM

#13 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:56 AM

Perfectly normal Matt, make sure there is plenty of humidity, so the protective 'jelly' does not dry out. It's probably got a bit of yolk left, so needs to absorb this before hatching. Are you excited :D

#14 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:40 AM

Pheww thats alright then sue as was panicing lol.im at work but ive just rang the other half to mist the eggs to be on the safe side,humidity is pretty good but not taking any chances!yes im well excited sue :) when i get home tonight going to get its set up ready and running :)

#15 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

How long do you suggest before taking him out and bathing him/handle him sue?

#16 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:33 PM

Exciting Matt, x x x hugs x x

#17 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

Just got home from work and looked in and there he is looking at me with his little head stuck out of the egg,not long now im guessing :)

#18 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:09 PM

Attached File  image.jpg   39.98KB   0 downloads
Hes been like this for a couple hours now,with the angle of the egg hes not managing to grip,legs are flapping about but no progress,shall i lay the egg more flatter or leave him?

#19 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

I guess time has moved on since your post Matt. I am no expert but my thoughts would be to leave him for tonight. He should be fine in the nice warm incubator. I read that hatcings don't usually feed for a couple of days, though my last hatchling did straightaway. The important thing is to give him a bath once he has hatched.
X x x x hugs x x

#20 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:00 PM

Ok thanks Stella as been panicking lol.its finally thrown in the towel for the night and has seemed to of gone to sleep so like you say will leave him for the night and check first thing tomorrow :)so as soon as it's out give it a bath for say 20mins then put it straight under the heat lamp and offer food?
Regards matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users