#21 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:31 AM

Morning Matt,

Exciting but stressful isn't it :)  try and leave the hatchling to hatch on his own, I wouldn't even lift the lid too much to the incubator as when the humidity drops the shell dries and makes it harder for him to hatch.

Once he's hatched I would give him a bath so he can have a chance to drink, what I do and have done over the last few years is take the hatchling out bath and weigh them then I put them in a tub with kitchen roll and put them back into the incubator, never straight into a table I find this gives them time for any egg sac left to absorb and I find they straighten out well.

When you do put the hatchling in the table you might find he hides away at 1st and might not eat for a couple of days, which is fine just give him a daily soak, that's more important than him eating  :)

looking forward to seeing some pictures when he's hatched. :)

#22 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 02 August 2014 - 06:09 AM

Morning karen
Thanks for the advice,will do just that!ive just checked on it again and its still flapping about not getting anywhere,i wonder if the humidity has dropped so do you think i should mist it with a spray bottle?yes im well excited as it looks so cute,never seen a tort that small before :)
Regards matt

#23 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

Hi Matt,

how's the hatchling doing now  :)

I've never sprayed my eggs so not sure on that one, I did have a hatchling that the egg shell had dried sort of onto the hatchlings shell I just used my nail to peel back the shell a little then left the hatchling to it, it then hatched it's self. :)

#24 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:28 AM

Hi karen,i havnt sprayed it as hes nearly there but hes dragging the egg about like hes struggling as his front legs are out,do you think i should give him a little hand if gentle as dont want it burning its self out as been hours now?

#25 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

Hi Matt, has he made any progress at all :)

#26 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 11:40 AM

Yes hes nearly out karen but it seem he cant grip well on the vermiculite to help pull himself out

#27 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2014 - 12:27 PM

Matt my last hatchling was 'stuck' in her shell, in as much all legs and head was out but the shell was all round her middle. I left her all day and overnight. I was convinced the egg sack had been absorbed so popped her in some warm water and with a bit of gentle fiddling like Karen suggested the shell just dropped off. All the egg sack had been absorbed. I popped her back into the incubator on damp kitchen roll overnight. She has been fine. Hope this helps..... As I have said, I am no expert but this was my experience X x x hugs x x x

#28 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

Im convince its stuck around middle too,where its struggling its keeps rolling the egg over so its upside down,im going to have to help it!

#29 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

I soaked it in warm water a i carefully with a pair of tweezers took a tiny bit of shell from the side of him and he shot straight out :) thanks guys :)

#30 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

Here he/she is :) weighs 14g is this an ok weight?
Attached File  image.jpg   19.88KB   0 downloads

#31 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

Well Done Matt! Any grey hairs or have you come through this unscathed!! 14gms is a nice weight, he/she looks lovely. I did the same trick with the tweezers... Just a tiny bit of shell broken off and out she came x x x Now you will spend the whole day watching her..... Or maybe not.. Maybe she will be off into the soil and that will be that x x x hugs x x

#32 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

Thanks stella :) well i havnt slept properly the last couple nights as was worrying that it might give up but im glad i did help as it proved it was stuck and needed help!thats good then as i thought he might of been on the light side :)no deformities thank god,checked him all over and everything is where it should be :)ive put him back in the incubator for half hour on kitchen towel then will be putting him in its encloser :).
Thanks for the help!

#33 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

Congratulations Matt, he/ she is perfect :)

#34 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

Thank you karen and thanks for the help :) two babies in 1 weekend,my little boy is being delivered tomorrow as well,feeling happy :)

#35 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

That's great news, best of luck for tomorrow. :)

#36 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

Wow Matt..... It is all go for you.......hope,all goes well tomorrow, and ......shall we see pictures,of both babes......x x x hugs x x x

#37 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

Thak you guys :)
Will put piccys up tomorrow

#38 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

That's a perfect weight Matt, exactly average - well done. Sorry, been away for the weekend. I would say in the future, if you can see the egg sac has absorbed, then helping at this stage is fine. In nature they are in soil, so have a much better grip to help themselves out - also they can be underground for several days before emerging and with full hydration.

#39 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

#40 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

Thank you sue :).thats good then as ive seen people have 16/17g babies on here so i assumed it was small.yes he was hanging out of the shell for atleast 12 hours struggling to find grip to pull its self out but i couldnt bare to watch him struggle any longer so had to help lol.hes in his encloser storming about but hasnt had any food yet but give him time i guess :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users