Dare I Leave New Babes Outside

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

Attached File  image.jpg   54.06KB   0 downloads

My babes are outside during the day and I bring them in at night to a smaller indoor space. Would anyone dare to leave them out at night. Obviously not if rain is forecasted, but then if I cover them with a BBQ cover to keep the rain off........ Am I being silly and cruel? Hugs x x x

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

Absolutely fine to leave babies out overnight, it gets them into behaving like tortoises from the word go. If you have the in an indoor rabbit cage, you can take them in and out to suit the weather.

#3 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

I've had Hazel living outside in the summer since she was 3 months old and she's always first up in the morning and is last to go to bed at night, storming around in the rain and all sorts. ;)

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

I think I will give it a go....it wasn't so much leaving them out, as I know that is good for them, it was more the safety aspect that I worry about. Things that sneak about in the dark etc. they are six weeks old now x x x hugs x x

#5 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:42 PM

I daren't leave my little 'uns out in the open overnight though.... They've learned to dig down inside their little hut so I can lock them in for the night. They're well trained! :rofl:

Norman however, camped out in the open bit of his juvenile enclosure for the first time last night, dug down under the roots of the fuchsia plant. I didn't have the heart to move him because he looked so comfy!! There is  added protection for him because it has a lockable mesh lid to keep predators out.  ;) xx

#6 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:46 AM

Yes, Kelly, they dig down for the night and there is a wire protective top......I think I will give it a go. The first time is always the most difficult with anything you do.... Thanks x x x hugs x x x

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

I'm sure they will thank you for it Stella and grow much better too. Good luck :D

#8 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:34 PM

Hi Stella, how things been going leaving the babies out. :)

#9 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

Well Karen....... I am being a bit of a coward. I have them in one of those portable enclosures which I leave outside and cover at night with a BBQ cover. What I worry about more than anything is if it rains loads and floods it, because I wouldn't have it covered if the babes were in there. Or could I?

I have no issue leaving them out and feel dreadful too disturbing them and bringing them in........

Would you think they would be ok covered with the BBQ cover.......

Attached File  image.jpg   43.66KB   0 downloads

Sorry, don't know how to turn this

X x x hugs x

#10 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:30 AM

Hi Stella, i'm not to sure about this one, at the minute my hatchlings come in on a night, as you say it wouldn't be safe if there was a chance of it flooding with heavy rain, i'm going to get my hubby to make me a more permanent hatchlings enclosure, I want one that has a heated area and also one I know is 100% predator proof so they can stay out all through the warmer months. :)

#11 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2014 - 12:59 PM

Yes I know what you mean, I have visions of cats and things climbing up and getting in.....mice as well. There is a metal grid top. I have already spoken about transforming the herb area into a safe tort nursery with a heated home bit. I have a house like Kelly had for Norman, so think I will just carry on as I am doing and be more organised next year. X x x x hugs x x x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users