• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ditzyangeluk

ditzyangeluk

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

What is the point in taking my Sparky outside for excellent fresh air and sun and UVB etc etc on a glorious day .. when he just goes into his pot or under his hide and sleeps all day?! SCRATCHESCHIN.gif

And I was so proud of him the other day .. a proper tortoise, dug down and half buried himself. I was well chuffed! Then he pooped today, bless him ...

My Sparky, an enigma!! 120.gif

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

Hi there,
It could be due to tempts,if hes got it to cushty in side with high tempts then putting him outside could be the sudden temperature change or due to the fact of being taken in and out.im no expert but hopefully someone more experienced will be along soon
Regards matt

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

Hi tortoises don't really like change so going from one enclosure to another could have upset him, also torts are not active all the time when outside, and will hide away if the temps are too hot/ cold, mine have all been out today but I haven't seen much of them. :)

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2014 - 05:22 PM

Hi there

I agree with Karen. There is little point in taking them outdoors to suit us and expecting them to enjoy life. It takes several days for them to accept a change in habitat. Even if they have been there before, they will naturally hide for a time as this is what they have evolved to do to save their lives at times. Imagine if he has been taken by a predator and dropped, he will hide away until he feels safe and this is what has happened to him in his tortoise mind.  This is why it is so important for them to have free access to outdoors at their own choosing. Taking them in and out can be very stressful and so it's better to have an area that has backup heat, so they can choose for themselves - this is what being a proper tortoise is all about ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users