Hello Everyone!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 firebelly

firebelly

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Everything creepy crawly, snakes & tortoises. Introducing my little wildlife enthusiasts ( I'm a teaching asst in an infant school) to all sorts of wildlife and the wonder of nature 😊

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

Hello, I'm a new member but have been lurking for a while now ☺ I was given a tortoise, complete with vivarium, substrate and tortoise pellets etc for a surprise birthday present from my sons. The background to this is I have wanted one and talked about getting one for a few years, but kept putting it off, mainly because I am nervous about the hibernation. I was also confused by the conflicting advice on care. However, the boys weren't aware of this and I now own Hermione(?)at least they were told at the pet shop she was female .....
Long story short, my constant reading since March has resulted in an outdoor enclosure which 'she' seems to enjoy and she no longer eats any pellets but loves her cuttlefish and her weeds, although she was somewhat stubborn to begin with. She came micro chipped with papers etc. My main concern now is hibernation, as far as I know she hasn't been hibernated at all and I think from her papers she must be around 2yrs old ? Can anyone tell from pics if her shell is growing evenly etc
Thanks Wendy

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:58 AM

Hi Wendy welcome to the forum. :)

It's good to hear you've done some research, your tortoise will be a lot happier in an outside enclosure instead of the vivarium, pet shops don't always give the best advice which is quite sad. :(

Hibernation can be a scary time when you first start doing it, but it is the best thing to do for your tortoise, as long as your tortoise is a good weight and healthy and the wind down period is done correct every thing will be fine, there's plenty of people on here to help when the time comes, there's also some good information on hibernation here's one to read.  http://www.tortsmad....hibernation.htm  :)

At 2 years old your tort is too young to sex you will need to give it a few more years, I call all of my hatchlings she but I'm not sure if they are or not.

If you add some picture's I'm sure Sue ( Wizzasmum ) will be able to tell you how well she's growing. :)

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:45 AM

Hello Wendy, welcome to the forum, it is great to have you along. Hibernation is a worrying time, even for those who have kept tortoises 'forever' and the easy option, for the sake of everyone's nerves would be not to hibernate. However that is not best for the tortoise for a multitude of reasons, and therefore to hibernate is best and at least it gives a few months where you can put your feet up and plan for the coming spring.

Again, outdoor is best on so many levels, so much easier for you as an owner if the outdoor set up is right and compliments what you do to keep young tortoise healthy and happy. At two years old I would suspect your outdoor set up will grow with her as fresh ideas come to you and you plan bigger and better lifestyle for your tort.

Enjoy the forum and Hermonie x x x hugs x x

#4 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:42 PM

Hi Wendy,

Welcome to the forum. We are a friendly,helpful bunch. :)  You will get plenty of great advice here and make many new friends. Look forward to hearing more about 'Hermione' :wub:  and seeing some wonderful pics. Hope you enjoy your stay. ;)

Best wishes

Freddy :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users