• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

Hi all and first this forum is great seen lots of good advice for a newb like me,

The wife has wanted a tort for years and we have been thinking of getting one for about a year,

I took the plunge yesterday and got a table and a couple of bits ( bowl,light,soil, thumoniters so on, just need to pop out today and get a cuttle fish and a slate for eating and some rocks for it to explore

I have a couple of questions though that I can’t find an answer

Feeding how much? I’ve seen the size of the shell but then as much as it can eat in 30mins?

Humidity what’s the best for them?

My uv/heat lamp won’t work in a timer and when I turn it on it takes a while to flick to life.

can you recommend food I can grow in a window tray for it all year around im getting confused with food and the wife is panicking over it a bit, we have woods around us so weeds are all-over but we don’t know what is what even looking at the picks were stumped

i will post a pic when i find my cable of what i have got so far

thank you

gareth

#2 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

this is were i have got up to

Attached Files

#3 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

this is were i have got up to

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:36 AM

Hi Gareth,

Welcome to the forum. :)

Is it a Hermann tortoise your looking to get also will it be a hatchling, your table will be ok for a hatchling, can you remove the sleeping area at all, if you can it would be better to take that out and just have deeper substrate for the tortoise to dig down into on a night as this will be better for him/her.

What uv/heat are you using, do you have it on a thermostat as combined uv/heat don't work well on one of these, I don't use a timer on mine so i'm not sure about that one. ;)

With regards to feeding that would depend on the age/ size of the tort hatchlings don't need loads of food, and it's best not to over feed them, feeding once a day is ok, it's best to keep weighing your tort and keep a record of his/ her weights, over winter time if there not been hibernated there not always as active so wont need as much food.

For what to feed have a look on here it's a really good site  http://www.thetortoi...e/plants_19.asp you will also need supplements to sprinkle on the food Nekton MSA is a good one to use. :)

#5 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:12 AM

Yes, the table is fine for a baby, but will need updating to a larger one in a coupe of years or so. You might need to cover the glass area if the tortoise looks on it as an escape route - glass is not a good surround for them really. As Karen says, I would remove the hide, they are a bad design which many seem to be copying. Timers will not affect your lamp working, it's more likely to be the angle or the shade. If the shade is too small for the wattage of the lamp, then it will keep cutting out as heat builds up. If this doesn't change things, then ask the supplier to change it for you. Good luck

#6 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 11:57 AM

A little change around what do you think?

Attached Files

#7 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

yes its a hermann we are getting from a hatchling, i have opened the top of the hide but cant take the wall out because i have sealed the edges but can take out if I had to just will take a lot of hard work, the light is a uv/heat 80w its 30 digrease in the hot spot and about 21 around with the shady bit about 18 the same as the room, is it worth moving it to the window? For extra uv in the morning?

I have a stone in for feeding and some rocks in for it to walk and explore the cuttle fish bone  if it likes it

It is about 2-3” deep at the moment will see haw much it digs dawn and make it deeper if needed .

I live in a rented house but by the time it is outgrown this I will have my own place and make an out door house for it but intill then I have to make do with a rabbit pen dug in to the soil so it can not escape but I don’t think it will be using much as we are comeing to the end of summer

#8 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:50 PM

Hi there and welcome to the fourm :)
The table is fine for a couple of years like Sue and Karen have mentioned.the wall that is deviding the sleeping area,can you remove this at all as it creating a dark area and you mite find that it will go in there and hide away,you need as much light as possible across the whole encloser to encouage activity,it will burry down if it wants to get away from the light/heat as in the wild!id make the substrate at least 4 inches deep as it will hold the moisture better,otherwise will dry out very quickly!id be aiming for a couple degrees higher under the heat lamp to 32c but no higher.
Regards matt

#9 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

ok taken out the wall just weighting on the glue to dry from the howls to put the soil back in will go out tomorrow and get a 100w light dont think this one can get to 32 with out dropping it to much, a £70 table is now ripped out and glued up ( non toxic fish tank glue over all the hols and side joints).

With i looked in to it better could of built one a lot cheeper.

you say dry out quick i put 2L of water in it 3 days ago and it is still wet i can clump the soil up in to a ball with out it crumbaling still.

having to put a heater in there for a bit to dry the glue faster the wife wonts to get one tomorrow but if im not happy with it she will have to weight in till it's finished.

i will post a new pick and you can tell me what im missing or if i need to fiddle with it some more

thanks for all your help

gareth

#10 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

Yes i agree gareth,ive never bought a tort table as you can build 1 for half the price,waste of money in my eyes.as long as your tort can completly burry its self with out being seen and holds moisture ok then it will be deep enough!yes please post some pics when finished :)

#11 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

You are right to wait Gareth, until you have the set up correct. Do you know where you are getting the hatchling from, or will that be your next step.....to find a breeder and hatchling.

I have only had one tort table as a tempory measure.... It was a bookcase and it is on my wall now...X x hugs x x x

#12 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:50 PM

Attempt 6

Attached Files

#13 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

Hi Gareth,

That looks great, and will work a lot better with the sleeping area taken out. :)

What are you using to take the temperatures under the basking light. :)

#14 MiriMaran

MiriMaran

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:I have boys age 11 and 12, 1 husband, 2 dogs, 2 pigs, 1 goat, 1 tortoise, 3 sheep and 19 chickens. Lots of mouths to feed ad not much time for hobbies. I work as a self employed gardener.

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:48 PM

Hi

I'm new to all this too.  We were given a tortoise table when we were given Herbella (8 years old).  She has a ramp to a sleeping area - should we take the whole mezzanine level out?  It would reduce the space she has.  We are in the processes of making her an outside enclosure which will also have an indoor bit with a lamp etc.  The table is far too small for her so she gets walks around the house and in her temporary outdoor area.  Should we also be wetting her substrate?  She has lots of bathes, but the previous owner never mentioned wetting the substrate.  She currently has compost/sand/grass pellets. 

#15 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:27 PM

Hi, she is really far to old for a tortoise table. Most have their tortoises outdoors from the first year, but it is too late this year with hibernation looming., so best look towards wind down and sort the outdoor area for when she wakes in spring. I'd be very wary of letting her out in house as there is no substrate, correct lighting etc etc I'd avoid pellets too as if eaten they are high protein and can damage kidneys. You do need to wet the substrate but remove the pellets first as they will encourage mould. Hope this helps ;)

#16 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 04 October 2014 - 05:16 AM

Hi

I'm new to all this too.  We were given a tortoise table when we were given Herbella (8 years old).  She has a ramp to a sleeping area - should we take the whole mezzanine level out?  It would reduce the space she has.  We are in the processes of making her an outside enclosure which will also have an indoor bit with a lamp etc.  The table is far too small for her so she gets walks around the house and in her temporary outdoor area.  Should we also be wetting her substrate?  She has lots of bathes, but the previous owner never mentioned wetting the substrate.  She currently has compost/sand/grass pellets. 

Hi, it's good to hear your going to make Herbella a permanent outside enclosure she will thank you for it, as well as changing the grass pellets I would change the compost and sand and just have plain topsoil as your substrate. :)

#17 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:49 AM

Thing to remember with torts is that they are basically ground dwellers and only climb when looking for a way out or to reach inaccessible food etc. so separate levels are unnatural for them, plus it usually reduces the amount of light available to the lower level. Much better to make her a larger temporary home indoors until spring and then get her outside where she belongs ;)

#18 MiriMaran

MiriMaran

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:I have boys age 11 and 12, 1 husband, 2 dogs, 2 pigs, 1 goat, 1 tortoise, 3 sheep and 19 chickens. Lots of mouths to feed ad not much time for hobbies. I work as a self employed gardener.

Posted 04 October 2014 - 09:43 AM

Hi, thank s for the advice and sorry for hijacking this thread.  since we've had her I've never been comfortable with the table, but I followed the previous owners advice.  We don't let her wander round the house for long as I worry about her getting cold, but she does seem to like to stretch her legs.  We she came to us she had grass pellets and sand and then I added compost to make it a bit deeper.  I'm off to the garden centre toady so I'll pick up some topsoil for her and give her a complete clean out.  In the Spring I can use that topsoil in the indoor part of the outside enclosure we are planning.  Will it also need to be dampened when it is in the in bit of the outdoor area? If it is will she still need regular bathing?

#19 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:36 AM

Hi, welcome to the forum. Your outdoor substrate won't need watering, the rain will do that for you. Now ever you may find the indoor areas of your setup will need a good wetting every now and again. When we have had some really hot sunny days I generally water the outdoor bits at night once they are in bed. But you will see as you go what is needed.
As for daily bathing, they won't need them once outside. The natural humidity and damper air will keep your tort well hydrated. Again sometimes when we have had a number of really hot days I bath them, but it isn't always necessary. They do like a spray of water too. X x xhugs x x x

#20 MiriMaran

MiriMaran

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:30 PM

Thanks guys.  At the weekend I totally changed Herbella's table.  I've done a temporary change as in the spring once she has her outdoor space we will sell the table.  I've taken out the mezzanine level.  I've got rid of the grass pellets, sand and compost in our garden compost.  i've put pond liner in and then put ply board along the sides to heighten them and I've put in loads of topsoil so its about 4" deep.  She now has a kitchen tile as a dinner plate at the opposite end from her lamp which keeps her food fresher.  She also has a few decorations to bulldoze out of her way when she is wandering around.

Having done all this I put her back in, feeling very pleased with myself, but she doesn't seem very impressed!  I guess whatever I do it is never going to be good enough until we can get her outside into a decent sized enclosure.  I've watered the topsoil but she's not digging down at sleep time.  She would dig in the soil when she was temporarily in our raspberry patch in the summer, but has possibly not twigged yet that she can now do the same on her table.  I there anything else I can do to improve things and get her through this winter as happily as possible?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users