- - - - -

feeding habits

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gaz106_*

Guest_gaz106_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2005 - 05:49 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 16-12-05 AT 06:05 PM (GMT)]hello new to this forum. i just bought a baby hermann maybe just over one year old. had him two days but he doesnt seem to be eating. i turned the uv light off at night but left heat light on. just found out suppost to turn that off too. could this be the reason he is not eating?

#2 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2005 - 06:57 PM

It will all be a bit confusing for a baby tortoise honey, don't expect him to settle in so quick. If you think about it if you were moved to a different place with different surroundings you probably wouldn't eat for a while, you'd want to settle in. UV and heat must not be left on during the night as it will confuse him and he won't know when to sleep etc. Find a time of day that you can feed your tortoise and start to give him a routine. Once he gets into a routine you will find he will settle and do all the normal things. Give him a warm bath each day for a short while and he will begin to eat, don't expect too much too soon, let him settle, give him baths and feeds at the same time each day so he begins to expect it and he will get more use to you and his surroundings. Interact with him and let him explore, the more use to you and his surroundings he gets the quicker he will settle in, just don't panic, your doing fine honey. :)

#3 Guest_gaz106_*

Guest_gaz106_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:20 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 16-12-05 AT 08:23 PM (GMT)]thanks for your advice, i have given him a bath in warm water didnt like it at first but just sat there for a bit while i put the water on his back.

ok i will give him a bath for a few nights. i will keep an eye on the temp during the night otherwise i may have to get a heat mat.. would that be a good idea?

will handling him make him get used to me?
thanks again for your help?

i will let you know how "CRUSH" is getting on.:-)

#4 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:26 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 16-12-05 AT 08:27 PM (GMT)]NO HEAT MAT!!! Sorry to shout but they are a no no. It doesn't get cold enough at night for you to need to heat him up then, he needs to sleep, only in the day honey.Heat at night will make him active and he needs to rest like us all. Heat light and UV but no heat mat, you don't wanna cook him honey, I know it's christmas and all that but no roast tortoise please. Yeah handle him slowly,let him get use to ya, make sure you have the temperature correct and warm baths. Try him on some Romaine lettuce that normally gets mine going when they are being fussy. Oh and let him get use to the change in his environment. What have you got him in, not a viv I hope. If you can post some pictures of your set up that would be great honey. Love the name, crush.:)

#5 Guest_gaz106_*

Guest_gaz106_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:36 PM

yeah i have him in a vivarium that the pet shop sold me. about a foot and a half maybe two feet. but i only intend on having him in there for a year, then i will get a bigger one! i have the temp control set to 84 farenheit i think thats how you spell it...
i have given him cabbage, a bit of tomato some runner bean things and a little mushroom but mostley cabbage leaf.

i dont have a digital camera. sorry.

yeah i named him after the turtle in finding nemo

#6 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:42 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 16-12-05 AT 08:43 PM (GMT)]OOO lots of no nos, This is gonna sound like a lecture but I can assure you it most definitely is not so don't take it personally honey. Vivs are no good, he should really be in a table top enclosure so he gets fresh air as vivs can cause a Hermanns problems with breathing. Get the doors taken off and make sure he can't fall out. He shouldn't be in it for another week let alone another year. Ok, his diet is no good, no cabbage or runner beans or mushroom. Tomato only if your trying to get him to feed but not on a long term basis. Go look at this link, this is what you should be ordering and growing on a regular basis to feed your tortoise along with vitamins added to it.

http://www.tlady.cla...t/herbiseed.htm

:)

#7 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:45 PM

And heres some table top enclosures to be having a look at.:)

http://www.natural-t...products.co.uk/

#8 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:48 PM

Also this website has excellent care sheet section which tells you safe plants you can feed your tortoise, go to the top of the page and click on care sheets.:)

#9 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:51 PM

This is a real good site to go see.

http://www.tortoiset.../care/care.html

#10 Guest_gaz106_*

Guest_gaz106_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2005 - 08:57 PM

ok really confused and angry at the shop for selling me the viv and thats what they told me to feed him. they had them in vivariums at the shop. should i confront them about it.

#11 Guest_amy_smith33_*

Guest_amy_smith33_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2005 - 09:34 AM

You can try and return the viv, some shops are good about it, others not so. I hate to say this, but this is where reseaching before you buy does help you getting ripped off.

#12 Guest_blondesarah_*

Guest_blondesarah_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2005 - 09:48 AM

Pet shops are all after money that is why they sold you a vivarium. I brought a tub from ikea that cost me 9 (see picture) for my little torts.
The best food to feed your tortoise is weeds on the tlady site there is a guide to show you what weeds to pick. This time of year it is hard to get weeds so feed him little gem lettuce, romanian lettuce, a few green, carrot(grated).
Also on his food get some lime stone flour and sprinkle this on his food. This is calcium that he needs (it is a must for any tortoise) it helps the shell to grow strong and smooth.
Also you need vitamins 2-3 times a week i used nutrobal.
Please dont worry that your tortoise isnt eating, we get many people like your self coming on here and worring. Tortoises can go months without food, you need to aim for a slow growth so that his shell does not grow bumpy.
Any more questions please ask.

#13 Guest_Jo_Lo_*

Guest_Jo_Lo_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2005 - 09:46 AM

Hi Gaz

I have an indoor tort home for sale on forum if your interested, ideal for your tort not big enough for mine. Contact me if your interested. Far more healthy envirinment than a viv.

take care Jo

#14 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:12 AM

HI Gaz
I have also only had my 1yr old hermann for just over 2 days and he's not eating either. He weighs 50g and is 75mm long so I think thats average. Tried watercress, rocket, chard, rosso, tomato and cucumber but no success. Giving him baths every morning and he takes himself off to bed at 5pm prompt so my boyfriend is still to see him moving around which is a shame cause he bought him for my crimbo! Got the heat bulb and a 8% uvb and they both go off about 8pm and back on at 8 in the morning. So to cut a long story short I'm trying not to worry as I think I'm doing everything fine???

#15 Guest_egyptiandan64_*

Guest_egyptiandan64_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:06 PM

Hi Kristy
It does sound like your doing everything right. It can take a few days for new ones to settle in. You can try Romaine lettuce to get him to start eating. If you can get the TLady's seed mixture that would be great. Here's a link http://www.hermann-t...orum=DCForumID1
Dan

#16 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:15 PM

Came back and a piece of tomato has been moved from the dish but doesn't look nibbed??? I've got the tort mix just waiting for it to grow. Got it in propagation tubs but still taking a while.

#17 Guest_omare_*

Guest_omare_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:31 PM

Kirsty honey try having both the lights come on a bit earlier in the morning, it always helps ours especially in the winter. Ours come on at 6.50am and go off about 8pm, worth a try. Keep up with the baths,some can be stubborn little monsters. If your T Ladys is taking time to grow get a heated propergator, they help alot this time of year. :)

#18 Guest_Jo_Lo_*

Guest_Jo_Lo_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2005 - 04:36 PM

Try to be patient Kirsty
I had a tort that took 2/3 weeks to start eating when I first got him, I just kept putting cos/romaine lettuce in the enclosure every day, the main thing is to keep them hydrated with daily baths, don't worry it will be OK
Jo

#19 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2005 - 01:07 PM

Hooray Archie has nibbed some romaine lettuce and has had a pee!! His light is now on from 6-9 and I changed his substrate to top soil and play sand. He was on coconut husk before but it was too chunky, jaggy and quite dusty so I changed it last nite and it is like a different wee beastie! Cheers for all the pointers!

#20 Guest_gaz106_*

Guest_gaz106_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:58 AM

hello i have had CRUSH for a week now and he has attempted to eat but if he has difficulty getting to it with his mouth he gives up. i think he is just being lazy(lol).

i have seen him eat some apple. but it is difficult to tell how much he has eaten. i am doing everything right i'll give him till after christmas and if nothing has changed i'll have to take him back to the shop i brought him from so they can monitor him. i have also noticed a white substence around his private area is this normal?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users