feeding habits

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Jo_Lo_*

Guest_Jo_Lo_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2005 - 01:21 PM

Hi Gaz

Keep bathing Crush daily in warm water for about 20 mins, this will keep him hydrated whilst he's not eating.

The white substance sounds like the urates that torts pass - read up about this on the tortoise trust site.

Jo

#22 Guest_mattgriffin1_*

Guest_mattgriffin1_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2005 - 01:53 PM

Gaz

I really woudn't take him back to the shop where you bought him for 'monitoring'. If they sold you a viv and told you all that rubbish about what to feed him then that is the worst place for him to be. Be patient. Open up the viv as much as you can. Daily soaks in warm water will encourage him to stay hydrated. If you open up the viv it will help to produce a temperature gradient so he can regulate his own body temperature. The white stuff around his tail end 'may' be urates which is a solidified form of uric acid which is how tortoises 'wee'. This is normal. However chech round the tail and make sure you can't see any evidence of worms. If he poos then take the sample to a vet, tell them it is tortoise poos and ask them to look at it under a microscope to see if he has parasites as many pet shop tortoises do.

Keep us informed.

Matt.

#23 Guest_gaz106_*

Guest_gaz106_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2005 - 02:22 PM

i have noticed a white substence on his water bowl. maybe just a good place to pee(lol).
he hasn't pood since the second day i had him which was last thursday.

he was seen bathing in his water earlier today which i think is a good sign.

#24 Guest_mattgriffin1_*

Guest_mattgriffin1_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2005 - 02:43 PM

They often wee in their water bowl!

#25 Guest_gaz106_*

Guest_gaz106_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2005 - 02:55 PM

thanks mate.

#26 Guest_arnhib_*

Guest_arnhib_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2005 - 01:53 PM

Hello Gary
Has he eaten yet??? Any chance you could get him some cos or Romaine lettuce before the shops shut, SAinsburys always have it,
Other than that check the garden to see if there are nay dandelion shoots coming through, if that's a no go,go get a small bag of baby carrots, cook a few of them in water in the micro wave for about 10 mins, this way he will have food and they will keep him hydrated. this is just for the holidays, try holding the food for him are you sure he can see???
Go get to the shops :-)
Arnie

#27 Guest_gaz106_*

Guest_gaz106_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2005 - 02:05 PM

hi he is eating now i am feeding him mixed cabbage some curly green stuff, tomato and apple. i tried cabbage leaf for two days and he wasn't interested. went back to mixed and he started eating again. i think he is being picky.

#28 Guest_kirsty10_*

Guest_kirsty10_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:07 PM

Thats fab news!! excellent! I bet you are relieved!! I'm still trying various things with archie but I am staying positive especially now yours has started eating!!!

#29 Guest_gaz106_*

Guest_gaz106_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2005 - 03:56 PM

yeah i am. he was very active so i new it was only a matter of time before he would get hungry. i think he may have been constapated but he is going to the toilet nearly every day now. i think that is normal. try apple.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users