• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:22 PM

I have some woods about 2 mins away from my house. Can some one please id these for me i dont wont to give my little tort something it can not have.

Thank you
gareth

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

Hi Gareth, I am not too sure about the photos, sometimes leaves are easier to identify when there are flowers attached!! However the first one is bindweed and is ok to feed in moderation, along with a mixed weed diet. Care should be taken as the stems are quite strong and should be removed as torts could be strangled if left in the enclosure.
Ferns are definitely a NO.....
Check out the tortoisetable plants web site for a great list of safe plants and definite no no's x x x hugs x x hope this helps

#3 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:54 PM

thanks  stella,

i have started growing some tort weeds in some pots but they will take time to grow and need to find food for it before they grow,

the wife has some plants that are comeing to the end of season we can use but wont last long,

haw much do i feed? is it the size of its shell and when do i take away or is it leave in till bed time

thank you for your help

#4 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

The first pic is bindweed.... feed in moderation. The second pic not sure. Third is some sort of fern .... no feed. The forth and fifth pics look like Herb Bennett or Wood Avens which is one you should feed sparingly. The final pic looks like bramble.... blackberry or raspberry. Tortoises may nibble on them sparingly, but they are quite high in tannins so they usually avoid them anyway because of the bitter taste. The fruits are a no no.

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

It is tricky to say how much to feed... Some say the size of the plastrom.... Others say a time eg 20 mins.... Personally it is a judgement you decide when you watch how and when your torts feed.
For example, I feed my creep in a morning.... But I know one tort will never make that feed, so I offer a second sitting around her.
I think it is a case of watching and seeing which torts are feeding.
There is generally weeds available all year round... I have numerous places I walk on my way home from work. Dandelion and plantain are available now. They keep well in a fridge like you would keep salad x x x hugs x

#6 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:04 PM

Also consider garden plants....pansies, evening primrose, fuchsia, there are loads.... Check out the tortoise table plant data base x x x hugs x

#7 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:32 PM

thank you for all you help im going out tomorrow to get a long tray to ut some plants in and one for weeds as not a lot grows in my garden as the last owner killed everything before they left and it has took me 2 years to get anything to start to grow out there and i dont wont a tort eating anything they put dawn.

can you recomend any winter plants?? dont wont to resort to shop baggs when it gets cold.

#8 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:54 AM

Hi Gareth,

Over the colder months you can still find some weeds about like dandelion and plantain, you could also get pansy's and violas, these can be added to things like florette crispy salad, or romaine lettuce just make sure you add supplements to the food. :)

these are a couple of the easier weeds there's loads about at the minute.

http://www.thetortoi...9.asp?catID=208

http://www.thetortoi...9.asp?catID=209

http://www.thetortoi..._19.asp?catID=5  :)

#9 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:00 AM

And here's a link to a good place to buy seeds, so you can grow your own food be careful with some seeds as there not a good mix and do contain some plants that shouldn't be fed ;)   http://www.tlady.cla...t/herbiseed.htm

#10 StGeorge1984

StGeorge1984

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:DIY, Teaching, Pets.

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:11 AM

Isn't there a tort mix seed packet someone sells. I found a link to it but cannot seem to find it again. Think I am looking in the wrong place.

#11 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:24 AM

The link that Karen gave you is the right one for seed mix - it was formulated by Lin King, the tortoise lady who based this mix on what they would eat in the wild. The correct amount to feed is that which gives a very fine growth line on the tortoises shell. Heavy growth lines are to be avoided as they mean the tortoise is growing too fast, which puts strains on bones, joints and vital organs. If you can see a very fine line of growth (paler coloured growth) around each scute (shield) then that is fine, but wide bands of lighter colour are not good. The amount to cover the shell and the amount of time given are some weird regimes, thought up by someone who didn't know tortoises very well, as all plants have different thickness and all tortoises eat at different speeds lol :D

#12 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

Be very wary of commercial tortoise sites selling seed mixes. To my knowledge there are very few that are formulate by people with any knowledge of actual tortoise dietary requirements. Be careful too of people selling individual types of seed, as what might be OK in moderation can actually kill if fed to excess :(

#13 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:27 AM

Isn't there a tort mix seed packet someone sells. I found a link to it but cannot seem to find it again. Think I am looking in the wrong place.

Hi as Sue says there's a few who sell seeds for tortoises, you can find a lot on ebay etc but there not good mixes a lot contain plants that shouldn't be fed, I think your better paying for the Herbiseed then at least you know every thing that grows is safe to feed and will be a good diet for your tort. :)

#14 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

will have a look at the website tomorrow and get some, do you think they will grow in side faster or out side with a dome over it?

#15 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

Hello Gaz,
Try Naturescape web site. They sell wild flowers and what we consider 'weeds' as plug plants. I was never very successful at growing the weed seeds....some seeds need a frost or cold spell to help them germinate.
If you don't trust your garden yet, what about growing in pots outside...... One of the things I did to 'boost' my supply was when on weed walks, pull the plant up by the roots, cut off the tops for the feed and plant the 'cutting' . They grow very well. Then all I do is cut the leaves off as I need them. In a sheltered spot, you should be able to keep enough weeds grown this way for the winter.
Also at this time of year, weeds are setting their seeds..... A nice wander around with a small food bag.....with compost or better still, poor soil in..... And you are making your own seed mix.
Check out the tortoisetable web site......choose plants like sow thistle, blue sow thistle which spread very quickly x x x xhugs x x x x

#16 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

Attached File  image.jpg   50.57KB   1 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   70.06KB   1 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   68.4KB   1 downloads
This area was bare at the beginning of the year x x x hugs x x

#17 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

Yum, yum, Stella, hollyhocks, pansies, and what looks like lavatera, all growing well. Good job Harry's not there, they'd all be gone by now.  :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users