• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 09 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

Judging by a recent experience, I reckon tortoises must have a very well developed sense of smell: It was 9.30pm at the end of a warm day recently, and I was in the garden enjoying the last of the setting sun. I noticed that the mimulus flowers were plentiful, so plucked a dozen or so for Harry's breakfast. He was fast asleep under the cloche at the time (he prefers to sleep outside of his house in the warmer times), and to my surprise, he woke up, went straight to flowers, ate them all up, then calmly trotted back to his corner to resume his slumber as if nothing had happened.

The tortoise equivalent of a midnight feast, methinks!

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:49 PM

LOL, you are perfectly right Graham - I sometimes pick the evening primrose flowers and throw them into the indoor hatchling area ready for morning and sometimes they are scoffed when I am not looking, so I hope they share :D

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:02 AM

The hollyhock flowers turn heads here.........no matter where I throw them or which tort I give them to, it always commands a mini stampede. I always wonder about their hearing, as when anyone talks nearby they come running and are well tuned to the rustle of a carrier bag..... X x x hugs x x x x

#4 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

Hearing is not the same as mammals hearing and is more to do with vibrations. It's unlikely they would hear a carrier bag as say a guinea pig would, but they likely see you coming and react. Mine appear from nowhere if I go and sit in the garden, no doubt with the hope of a bag of weeds lol. I had a little blind tortoise indoors for a time too, who used to come running if I called her name in a particularly silly voice, but she didn't react to normal voice tones at all.

#5 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:47 PM

Yes i agee guys
If i call my lot with a quite high pitch voice they come out from hiding knowing its food time lol

#6 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:47 AM

Mine are the same, Sue.......I just arrive and their heads are up and it's a case of here they come.
Did anyone see the TV clip where Sheffield university was saying that tortoises have good memories..........that may be the case.....but they were treated with strawberries. Mine would move earth and obstacles for a strawberry at a 100 paces, so not really sure what the research was all about!!! X. X x xhugs x x

#7 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

I'd say they definitely have good memories. I have a hide in the garage that used to have two entrance points from different areas of the garden for the hermanns. I had around 8 years where the rear of the garden was completely separate and the rear entrance used for a different species. This year, the garden was opened up again and the hermanns were all back to using the old entrance within a day and now, there are only ever one or two that check themselves into the other hide at night. My next dilemma is, having made plans for my conservatory to become the extended new kitchen, what is going to happen when Aphrodite wants to escape the boys by hiding in the conservatory overnight :/ Maybe she will have to have a new mini tortoise size one built next to the doors lol.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users