• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Budski

Budski

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:05 AM

Hello Everyone...I'm Charlotte am a mother of 2 children, a dog & 2cats! I've always wanted a tortoise as I find em fascinating, so I've started doing my research before taking the plunge :-)

Best Wishes
X

#2 Olly&Flo

Olly&Flo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

Welcome to the forum, I'm a new member too :) It's great you're researching before the commitment, many owners think they have the suitable set-ups after pet-shops and alike have told them so, what species of tortoise were you thinking of getting? Hermanns and Horsfield's are a popular choice. Every Tortoise owner I know has totally fallen in love with having a tortoise, and becomes totally obsessed about providing the best husbandry, like me. 

You'll find loads of great advice on here, best of luck and keep us updated :)

#3 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:30 AM

Just be aware that some sites have a lot of US  members, who tend to be swayed more to viv accommodation, which might suit their particular climates or apartment living, but the info relating to care in the UK is often very different. Personally I am of the opinion that if you live in a flat then a tortoise is not a good pet, as they really thrive well in outdoor accommodation, rather than just survive indoors ;)

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 12:12 PM

Hi Charlotte,

Welcome to the forum. :)

It's really good to see your doing your research first, you'll find all the information you need on the forum, and you can ask as many questions as you need to. :)

#5 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

Welcome to the forum, I'm a new member too :) It's great you're researching before the commitment, many owners think they have the suitable set-ups after pet-shops and alike have told them so, what species of tortoise were you thinking of getting? Hermanns and Horsfield's are a popular choice. Every Tortoise owner I know has totally fallen in love with having a tortoise, and becomes totally obsessed about providing the best husbandry, like me. 

You'll find loads of great advice on here, best of luck and keep us updated :) Another tortoise forum which might have some useful information is Shelled Warriors, the SW forum did crash recently, but I believe the bug has been mended, so it might be useful to go on that too   :)

Hi Olly,

please don't take this the wrong way :)  but I would appreciate other forums not been promoted on ours thanks ;)

#6 Olly&Flo

Olly&Flo

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:09 PM

Hi Olly,

please don't take this the wrong way :)  but I would appreciate other forums not been promoted on ours thanks ;)

Sorry, I can totally see why you wouldn't want me to, wasn't sure if it was against the forum rules, won't do it again :) I'll edit it out of the comment :)

#7 Budski

Budski

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I'd like to get a Spur-Thighed Tortoise if any & having been in touch with a local breeder would opt for a large indoor rabbit cage especially because of my 4 legged pets until he'd be old enough to live outside x

#8 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:37 PM

Hi welcome to the fourm :)
Spur-thighs are quite a large breed so you will need a good decent size outdoor encloser to house them when older rather than the smaller breeds ie hermanns and horsefeilds which has already been mentioned.i have an adult spur-thigh and it has the free roam on my garden and with dogs can you garentee it will be safe?seen some horrific dog attacks on torts thats all :/

#9 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:40 PM

Was meant to say,hermanns and horsefeilds are more suited to our climate than others thats why they seen to be such a popular breeds here

#10 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:14 PM

There is very little difference between spurs and hermanns Matt, unless you are thinking of sulcatas or the hermanni hermanni. You do get some larger females, but only around 500 grams bigger than the average really ;)

#11 Budski

Budski

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

I didn't think there was a huge difference between Spur Thighed or Hermann's Beermat...and don't worry, he would definitely be kept in a large enclosure away from my other pets! Thanks for the welcome.

#12 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:44 PM

Ohh sorry yes i didnt read it properly lol. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users