• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Budski

Budski

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

Hi there...I'm new here and have started doing my research into tortoise ownership. My main concern at this stage is Hibernation as is most peoples by the sounds of things lol

So my concern is...I don't have & wouldn't have the room for a fridge, so I'm thinking of alternative ways to hibernate. Why has no one not invented a mini fridge specifically for hibernating tortoises yet lol?? I have a garage on bloc over the back of the house, so I thought this winter I'd monitor the temperatures in there for if/when we get a tortoise. I'd be getting either a "Spur-Thighed Tortoise" or a "Hermann" would be a hatchling hopefully so would box storage be suitable depending on temps this winter in there? Do I just buy a normal thermometer to put on the wall in there?

Regards
Charlotte

#2 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

There is a mini fridge which is specifically for tortoises, it also doubles as an incubator, as the temp can be set to suit. It's called a Lucky Herp. It's been used by several people I know, very successfully and there is a link to it on my Tortsmad website. Don't use those normal mini fridges for caravans or drinks etc as they are not reliable for anything other than drinks, which would cope with shifts in temperature. I hibernate mine in a specially adapted insulated tortoise room on the end of my garage. You need a room that will stay at around 5 degrees and to be prepared to bring them out of hibernation if temps rise too high. Temps can be prevented by falling too low if you use a thermostat set to 5 degrees C attached to a fan heater. Electric radiators and tubular heaters don't really work as they retain the heat once switched off long enough to make temps rise too high.

You need an in/out thermometer (links also on same page) so that you can put the probe into the box with the tortoise and clearly see on screen the temps both inside and out.

Hope this helps ;)

#3 Budski

Budski

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

Oh excellent I'll look into the special fridge! Thanks for your reply.
Charlotte

#4 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:50 PM

Just out of interest, I invested in a pharmacy fridge to hibernate Harry, these fridges are designed to keep drugs and medications cool, and have hi-tec motors and thermometers in them. Throughout the whole hibernation period last year the temps stayed constantly between 4°c and 7°c, resulting in a perfect environment for Harry.

They're very expensive, mind, I paid nearly £500 for mine, but the way I look at it, tortoise keeping is a long-term commitment, so it was well worth the investment.

Picture1_zps36df1cdc.jpg

#5 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:13 AM

Wow thats alot of money Graham but well worth it,might look into one myself as must be reliable due being designed for medicines :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users