• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

got bob today after about a week of sorting his table out ( thanks for the help to all who gave me pointers)

one question he is trying to clime in the corner had to turn him over once its just by the heat spot so didnt wont to leave him to do it him self i tried putting something in the way but he just did it again any ideas what to do?

#2 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

Bob

Attached Files

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 11 August 2014 - 07:49 PM

Hi there
Just my opinion but i put my heat lamps towards the center of my setups due to the worry of this as they can dehydrate in no time at all if they cant upright themselves from under the heat lamp.thats only if you can get the surrounding temps right if doing this
Regards matt

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:16 AM

Hi Gareth,

Bob's lovely, did you get him from a breeder  :)

Tortoises don't really like change and can take some time to settle into a new enclosure, some are really quite and hide away, others are over active, give him time to settle in, I would handle him as little as possible, just maybe for his baths. :)

#5 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:51 AM

Hi Gareth, how old is your tortoise? I am afraid flipping over seems to be one of the things that hatchlings are good at. That and not being able to turn themselves back. My hatchling enclosure is very sparse because of this, and I don't turn the heat lights on when I am not around. Don't worry he will soon settle down, as Karen says torts don't like change. X x x hugs x x x

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:08 AM

Hi, Stella,

I have my hatchlings lights on every day even when i'm not home, I work full time so would be impossible not too. :)

#7 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:31 AM

He is an import couldn't find a breeder. He his 3 mounths i think but that may be his import date tho. He didn't burrow last night just went under tge bridge to sleep. Hope he settles in soon.

#8 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:36 AM

Yes i keep my lights on when im at work too,just make sure theres nothing they can turn them self over under the lamps.
Hi gaz,
If hes a import i would suggest getting him checked for worms/parasites as many years ago when i had got my first tort he was compacted with worms but as i was young and wasnt clued up it got so bad he was quite ill and lost alot of weight.did you get him from a pet shop?was he kept in a vivarium?im only asking as if he was kept in a viv with high temps and hardly no substrate to dig down in to its maybe he has been used to doing this!what are the tempts at night in your enclosure?take the little bridge out and try that as he wont have anywhere to hide so will encourage him to burry down wich is vital for smooth shell growth and hydration.
Regards matt

#9 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:55 AM

yeah got him from a reptile shop, will take him to a vet as soon as i find one what knows about torts,

when i got him he was in a snake viv as the shop mostly deal with snakes or lizards, once home he is eating well after exploring and swimming in his water bowl for a bit. gave him a mix of dandelions cress and pansy’s, will give him a bath today as he looks dusty and give him some hydration, do I weight him before or after the bath?

i have taken the bridge out looks empty now lol.

Thanks mat for the advice

gareth

#10 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

Thats most probs what it is then gareth,i bought my first one in reptile shop and which was kept in a viv on wood chipping substrate and still now he hardly burries right down unlike the others even tho hes 12!its up to you with the worming buts thats just my opinion as ive had bad experience with imports.if hes eating fine and active then im sure hes fine but always worth a check for a peice of mind but make sure you find a vet who knows about torts as general vets dont have a blinky clue in my eyes lol.i weigh mine once a month as if you do it to regulary u will find their weight will be up and down like a yo yo due to hydration,eating and passing waste.id personaly weigh him before a bath as this will be his true weight!
No problem we are all here to help :)
Ive still got alot to learn myself lol
Regards matt

#11 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

Try weighing him both before and after his bath, which will give you an idea of how much fluid he is taking on board. If it's a lot, then he's dehydrated and needs to have a change in his surroundings, to ensure good shell growth etc.

#12 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:15 PM

Just gave him his first bath didnt weight him tho. Thinking he will be dehydrated after being in a viv b4 me. He had a nice big poo and washed off all the old sand and dust. He did scratch his face on the left side a bit and its a different colour is that normal? Or should i mention it to the vet at the same time time as worming

Thanks gareth

#13 Guest_Wizzasmum_*

Guest_Wizzasmum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

Just for future ref, if you decide to get another one, many breeders (myself included) will deliver tortoises or meet half way - I have tortoises on the East Coast of Scotland and some in Cornwall ;) You need to add clear pics to show the colouration change you are talking about, then we might be able to advise.

#14 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

thank you all

once i get out of renting i will think about getting it a friend and moving it out side but will get from a breeder as dont trust were i got this one from to much even tho there good with other reptiles they didnt have the right set up for him, i only got him there because i felt sorry for it, was looking for a breeder but poped in to the shop to get a second bold and came home with Bob lol,

i took it to the vets and he looked good may of been a bit of soil in its eye it didnt like but after a bath its been ok,

thank you

gareth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users