• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

I was really pleased with the way my double-white hibiscus bloomed so well this year:

Hibiscus_zps306ed76a.jpg

And so was Harry!

Harry_Hibiscus_zps3e883f09.jpg

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:46 PM

Hi Graham,

That looks great, harry will enjoy them, I've just bought two hibiscus plants myself, I hope they flower as well as yours in time. :)

#3 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

The hibiscus looks great, Graham. :) Harry certainly seems to be enjoying them. :wub:  Your plants seem to have come on very well. Congratulations again and best of luck with them. ;)

Kind Regards

Freddy :D

#4 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

Thanks, both, it encourages me when I'm complimented on my horticultural successes. :)

Karen, have you planted the hibiscus out in the garden yet, or are they still in pots?

#5 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

Wow, that is brilliant, wish mine would bloom so well. They are just starting now (except the new ones).

Sue

(was Wizzasmum)

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:48 PM

Thanks, both, it encourages me when I'm complimented on my horticultural successes. :)

Karen, have you planted the hibiscus out in the garden yet, or are they still in pots?

Hi Graham,

There still in pots at the minute. :)

#7 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

Glad they are, Karen, it's getting a little bit late in the season to plant them out. Hibiscus are a bit fickle about new environments and don't like being moved too much; I'd advise you to keep them in their pots for the meantime to let them settle; putting them in the garden now would not be a good move. Come the end of October, take them in and overwinter them. They will lose all their leaves, and you will probably think they've died, but I can assure you, they haven't. Hibiscus tend to 'hibernate', they shed their leaves and become dormant for the Winter, then re-emerge in the Spring. 

A bit like our torts, actually; need time to accustom to a new environment, and shut down for the Winter.  :)

#8 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:02 PM

Great advice Graham, will do the same with mine :D

#9 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:54 AM

Glad they are, Karen, it's getting a little bit late in the season to plant them out. Hibiscus are a bit fickle about new environments and don't like being moved too much; I'd advise you to keep them in their pots for the meantime to let them settle; putting them in the garden now would not be a good move. Come the end of October, take them in and overwinter them. They will lose all their leaves, and you will probably think they've died, but I can assure you, they haven't. Hibiscus tend to 'hibernate', they shed their leaves and become dormant for the Winter, then re-emerge in the Spring. 

A bit like our torts, actually; need time to accustom to a new environment, and shut down for the Winter.  :)

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the advice, ill do that, so when are they best planted in the garden, more late sring when there's no risk of frosts. :)

#10 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:51 AM

Yes, that's right, Karen, round about the end of April when the frosts have gone.

#11 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:15 AM

Thanks Graham. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users