Photo

Wondering About Uvb In Outside Enclosure?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 firebelly

firebelly

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Everything creepy crawly, snakes & tortoises. Introducing my little wildlife enthusiasts ( I'm a teaching asst in an infant school) to all sorts of wildlife and the wonder of nature 😊

Posted 16 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

Hi there, I'm new here have only posted to introduce myself and put some pics of the outside enclosure. I'm a little concerned as over the last few days, the sun has been very absent in the North east & even though I have been reading everything possible I'd like a little advice/ reassurance please. Hermione has an outdoor enclosure with a little dog kennel attached which she can access easily, it has a heat lamp so she can warm up. But over the last few days she has been quite inactive & is choosing to stay outside under her favorite plant unless I get her out and pop her under the lamp. My worry is that she is not getting enough uvb, temps have been between 17 and 19 degrees but very cloudy, do I need to add uvb light to her kennel or should I bring her in for a few hours 'sunlight' each day. Or am I being silly ? ?
Thanks Wendy

#2 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

Hi firebelly
Its been the same here in the southwest too!even on a cloudy day the uv levels are still much stronger than any uv light you can buy on the market so this isnt an issue!as for her heating up,i dont have this prob as by night all mine go in their hut on there own accord and bask under their lamp in the mornings before emerging but hopefully some1 will come along soon to give you some advice around this
Regards matt

#3 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:47 PM

Hi Wendy,

UVB levels from natural sunlight can vary on different days and at different times of the year . As Matt says even on cloudy days in summer and early autumn UVB levels will still be higher than those achieved by artificial lighting . It is true that with the onset of autumn natural light levels start to decrease. However, there are still a few weeks left in this season before you start moving her inside to indoor heating and lighting. Hope this helps.

Take care.

Kind Regards

Freddy

#4 firebelly

firebelly

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Everything creepy crawly, snakes & tortoises. Introducing my little wildlife enthusiasts ( I'm a teaching asst in an infant school) to all sorts of wildlife and the wonder of nature 😊

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:56 PM

Thanks guys, one more thing to stop worrying about !! :unsure2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users