8 replies to this topic

#1 George'smum

George'smum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

Hi

I am the proud owner of a 2 year old Hermann Tortoise called George. I have wanted one for a very long time and my family surprised me with one for my birthday :).  He is quite speedy for a little tortoise and loves exploring our garden when I'm out with my coffee, we're in the process of building a proper outdoors enclosure for him so he can enjoy more of the sunshine, rather than being in a little run. He has a tortoise table indoors and is very good at mountaineering  ;). I have had him for just over two weeks now and he hasn't really eaten a lot, only a couple of dandelion leaves. I'm quite fortunate as I've lots of flowers and leaves and weeds in the garden that tortoises should enjoy but he's not at all interested. He has a daily bath much to his disgust but I don't want him getting dehydrated as he's not eating much. Should I be concerned at his lack of appetite or is it just a case of taking time to settle in?

I've really found the forum very helpful so a big thankyou to you all for sharing your knowledge. 

Looking forward to learning lots more about Hermann Tortoises

Kathy

Attached File  DSC_1187.jpg   52.03KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSC_1142.jpg   57.17KB   0 downloadsAttached File  DSC_1183.jpg   46.75KB   0 downloads

#2 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum

Congratulations on your new tortoise.

I would leave him in his indoor area until he settles inn as they don't like change and the outdoors might be stressing him and giving him thoughts of escape, this is why he is tearing around rather than sitting still and eating.  Normally it is good to get them outdoors, but not to move them in and out when new. If he is an import, then he will be more stressed than usual and could take a few weeks to settle in. This is because he will not be used to captive living, so it is best to get him used to this before moving him around. He will not get dehydrated so long as you offer him lots of baths and deep moist soil to dig down into, just as they would in nature.

Good luck

#3 George'smum

George'smum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

Thankyou for the advice, that's really helpful. I'll keep George indoors for the time being and let you know how we get on.

Kathy

#4 Access

Access

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

Hiya GM, me too, two week old new owner of a hermanni that is! jings it's a worry, Herman's not eating loads just now either but I'm sure he'll settle in. Good luck!

#5 George'smum

George'smum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:37 PM

Thanks Access, they sure are a worry aren't they  :). Good luck with Herman too.

Kathy

#6 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:49 PM

The thing is, at this time of year, they are feeling the change in temps and day length, so it makes new tortoises even harder. If it was me, with a new one, I would not take them outdoors at all now as by the time they have settled, it will be time to bring them in anyway and any imports will be really confused by the change f weather already, when you think about the Med :(

#7 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:49 AM

Hi Kathy,

Welcome to the forum. :)

George is lovely, as Sue has said give him time to settle in tortoises don't like change at all, and can take some time to settle in to a new enclosure, I would also only handle him when needed.

I look forward to hearing more about him. :)

#8 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

Hi Kathy,

Welcome to the forum. We are a friendly, helpful bunch. :) You will get plenty of great advice here and make many new friends. Look forward to hearing more about George. :wub:  Hope you enjoy your stay. ;)

Kind Regards

Freddy :D

#9 George'smum

George'smum

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:56 PM

Thanks everyone, it's great to have found such a friendly bunch of people who are only to happy to help me get it right for George and put my mind at ease   :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users