• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

Haw often or even at all do you brake up / turn the top soil to stop it clumping to make it easy to dig in to?

Thanks
Gareth

#2 StGeorge1984

StGeorge1984

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:DIY, Teaching, Pets.

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

I personally try and get round to it once a week. Normally do this whilst they are having a bath. May be wrong to do it but I am trying to encourage digging in as they were vivarium tortoises before I got them.

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

Hi,
I personally dont touch it myself,it holds moisture very well under the surface if left alone,once turned the air can dry it out quite quickly.you could brake the surface up i suppose if you wanted to encourage digging down but to be honest my 2week year old hatchling has no trouble in burrying down.
Regards matt

#4 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:03 PM

Same as mine wont dig dan will sort of move the soil a bit around him to make a verry little patch for its belly shell but lets are always out never gets more that a cupple of mm beep. He was in a viv before i got him tryed berrying him a bit but just climes out and rests on top any tips on getting him to dig dawn?

#5 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:02 PM

I don't break mine up - no-one does it in the wild. You will find they have a favourite place to dig a scrape or hide and go back to it time and again. They need pretty firm soil to walk on, not crumbly soft stuff.  If your tortoise is not digging down, then it's likely because his night time temps are not dropping enough.

#6 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

At the moment the room gets to about 11c at night when i get up for work. I know were in summer still but getting to about 7c in the morning at 5am

#7 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

I agree,each one of my torts have there own certain spot where they dig down each night,they have no trouble doing this as torts have very strong leg muscles and at a young age this is vital that they have firm soil to dig into to build muscles up!
Hi gaz,
At even 11c they should be burying down at night ,my hatching wich is only about 2weeks old buries down every night around 4pm even tho his lights are still on

Regards matt

#8 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

Hi I don't break my soil up either, and all my babies dig down on a night just fine, is your substrate damp enough as I find they don't dig down too well in dry substrate. :)

#9 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

I have packed it In harder. I put about a leater of water in every morning but he still wont dig. Just curls in his shell and sleeps.

Thanks
Gareth

#10 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

A lire each morning! Is it a huge enclosure? Maybe it is muddy below the surface, which would stop him from digging. To be honest it is most likely to be house temps. Remove all little houses etc and he will soon dig down unless he is ill.

#11 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:27 AM

Its a medium size he has no hides in there. Its not muddy under soil just room dryes out quick. Will post a pick of haw it sleeps

#12 gaztplymouth

gaztplymouth

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:29 AM

Bob sleeping

Attached Files

#13 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

Try creating some little caves for him and put plants in for him to burrow under. Tortoises like to have some interesting things to make use of. I would say if he is not burrowing and the water is evaporating so quickly, it's just far too warm for him overnight. Have you kept him outdoors at all?

#14 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 23 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

So sorry, seem to be getting double posts again :( I also get logged off at the end of each day - any ideas folks?

#15 StGeorge1984

StGeorge1984

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 35 posts
  • Interests:DIY, Teaching, Pets.

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

I seem to get double posts when there is a surge or distinct lag in bandwidth on my Internet. I notice recently the forum guru has set up something to stop it where you cannot post again within a few seconds of posting which has stopped this happening to me. How's your Internet connection. The forums take a lifetime to load for me as mine is poor.

My tortoises are outside but tend to hide rather than dig down haven't a clue why they aren't digging down. We have also had poor weather but they are not moving inside the house to use the light and gain warmth. Admittedly it's only been in since Monday.

#16 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:47 AM

Internet here is generally poor. I don't have the same problem on other forums though. Maybe I need an ipad lol

Not sure what is going on with your torts to be honest, mine are not happy with the drop in temps this week, but are still hiding in their hide as normal, just taking longer to emerge in the morning.

#17 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:37 PM

It is strange isn't it whether they dig down to rest or not. My babes are always underground, the rest, well although they are outside all the time not one digs into the soil to rest. The only time they do it is when they hibernate. X x x xhugs x x x

#18 JjayApril

JjayApril

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:08 PM

I know this is an old thread but our juvenile isn't digging down at all and is simply doing the same as Gareth's photos. Soil is moist but not too wet, lamp is turned off around 6/7pm and the room cools to around 15 degrees but I think we need to maybe make it cooler?

#19 wizzasmum

wizzasmum

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • Interests:Family
    Tortoise keeping and breeding
    Gardening
    Greyhound rescue
    Reading
    Walking
    Travelling

Posted 14 August 2015 - 05:18 PM

Yes, it will be the temp that's causing it. Is the soil nice and deep as they don't like digging into shallow soil with a base underneath!

#20 JjayApril

JjayApril

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 11:51 AM

Hi Sue,

The substrate is about 10cm deep in the tortoise table, probably more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users