Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises, National trust, Reading
    walking , History ,Gardening
    Being a mum .

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

Hi

Thought I would add some pics of willow who I bought 15 months ago from a pet shop

he was in a tiny vivarium and was up at the glass trying to find a way out (it looked like)

It played on my mind so I went back and bought him.. I was told by the shop he was a horsefield

and didn't need papers .. needless to say I later found out he was a hermanns and I should have had A10

certificate . I went back to the shop and mentioned this and they said they were told he was a horsfield

and he had just been brought into the shop.. I was fuming about it and reported them to Defra..

So I have no idea of his age or where he came from before me  but he is well loved now and seems a happy and

very active little chap.

Karen x

Attached Files

#2 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

Welcome to the forum and well done for reporting that unscrupulous pet shop to Defra.:) My first tort was a pet shop rescue, from a vivarium. Fortunately, I had papers with him though. I can't go in the pet shops any more for fear of coming out with all of them!

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

It is a problem Karen, but as Kelly said, well done for reporting a poor pet shop. For all the legislation tortoises still continue to get a rough deal. Willow certainly looks to be enjoying the great outdoors. X x x hugs x x x

#4 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 05:48 AM

Hi Karen,

Willow's lovely :) It's lovely to see them outside enjoying the sun.

With regards to his certificate It's a shame he doesn't have one, but you don't need one to keep him,  you do hear of this quite a bit pet shops and also private sales were there sold with no certificates or the tortoise isn't micro chipped and the papers updated before the sale. ;)

#5 destiny88

destiny88

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises, National trust, Reading
    walking , History ,Gardening
    Being a mum .

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:14 AM

Thanks for the welcomes

realy glad to find this forum :)

Its so sad that pet shops sell tortoises in such states , it realy upset me seeing willow in the shop in that little tank

Id only called in for some wild bird seed and ended up rushing About buying enclosures and lights ect and went back

and got willow ... They tried sooo hard to sell me a vivarium as well, they were realy pushy until I told them id been researching

online about tortoises and I believed that vivs weren't any good for them and especially the one he was being kept in there .

Unfortunatly id done more research on the housing and diet than the species or I may have realised they were wrong

saying he was a horsfield...........

I cant imagine not having him now , hes so funny.

Karen x

#6 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:49 AM

Hi Karen,

The sad thing is that people see tortoises in pet shops in small vivarium's etc, and buy them to give them a better life which is really good in way but the shop then just gets more tortoise's to sell so doesn't help in the long run, which is quite sad. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users