Male Or Female Please?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 sfarq

sfarq

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Gardening , growing veg , caring for Ted and Rosie my Hermann tortoises.

Posted 05 September 2014 - 05:57 PM

Hi this is Rosie shes six years old, i took over the care of her 4 months ago i was told she was female but shes looking more like my male Ted.Can anyone advise me if she is female or male please.

Attached Files

#2 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:13 PM

Can you show a photo with tail extended please?  ;)

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 05 September 2014 - 09:31 PM

Tail looks rather large so im saying male but as Sue said can give a defenate with another pic of tail extented

#4 sfarq

sfarq

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Gardening , growing veg , caring for Ted and Rosie my Hermann tortoises.

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:53 AM

Another pic hope this makes it clearer.

#5 sfarq

sfarq

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:59 AM

Sorry couldnt get the pic to attach to the last two posts.You can tell am new to all this!!Attached File  20140906_084232.jpg   41KB   0 downloads

#6 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:16 AM

I'm sorry should have said, showing vent area as this is more reliable than just tail length. I have a male with no tail and a female with a fairly long tail, so not always a true sign, but males do usually have very long tails, meeting the leg when curled to the side. So far am going with female. Do they live together and if so, what is the interaction between them?

#7 sfarq

sfarq

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 08:58 AM

Thank you for getting back to me Sue,they were kept together when i took over them but i seperated them and they have their own outdoor enclosure.What is the vent area ill post another pic.

#8 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:02 AM

So, did they fight when together - a good indicator of two males.

The vent area is the area where waste comes from ;) It is a different shape in different sexes. It's looking female to me though. What weight is it?

#9 sfarq

sfarq

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:25 AM

When i first got them Ted was trying to mount her and nipped her legs.But i seperated them almost straight away.Rosie weighs 426 grams.Attached File  20140906_101814.jpg   26.41KB   0 downloads

#10 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 06 September 2014 - 11:55 AM

Female. Is her carapace growth good? Sometimes tail growth can be affected by poor growth. You need a couple more females, as the cloacal area can be damaged by too much attention from a male ;)

#11 sfarq

sfarq

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

There not together at any time they have seperate enclosures.Thanks for your advise much appreciated.

#12 sfarq

sfarq

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

Her carapace doesnt look smooth shes rather bumpy and was like that when i got her.They wasnt kept in the best conditions or fed the right diet but thanks to lots of research and all the usful info ive gathered from this forum shes been looked after much better now.Ill post a pic.

#13 sfarq

sfarq

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:43 PM

Rosie when i first got her.Attached File  20140421_114515.jpg   71.13KB   0 downloads

#14 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:04 PM

I've seen far worse and have a couple of much worse rehomers here, which have grown fine, so not a lot to worry about there. I wold def look into getting a couple more females though for the future, when they can all go together :D

#15 sfarq

sfarq

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:19 PM

Thank you Sue will think about that one maybe in time.Think you should be crowned the tortoise god!

#16 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 06 September 2014 - 01:25 PM

LOL, I doubt it ;)  I do have a rehoming list though, so if you were interested and anything came up, could always let you know :)

#17 MiriMaran

MiriMaran

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:I have boys age 11 and 12, 1 husband, 2 dogs, 2 pigs, 1 goat, 1 tortoise, 3 sheep and 19 chickens. Lots of mouths to feed ad not much time for hobbies. I work as a self employed gardener.

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

Can Hermanns go together?  I was told they were solitary and would fight so we decided not to get Herbella a friend.  She is an 8 Year old female who has always lived on her own.

#18 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:53 PM

They only usually fight if you introduce two males and then it is often only if there are females around. Two females are most likely to be fine together. Always give them plenty of room though and make sure they are both healthy and have been without the company of other tortoises for twelve months or so. They don't need friends though if that is bothering you.

#19 MiriMaran

MiriMaran

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:I have boys age 11 and 12, 1 husband, 2 dogs, 2 pigs, 1 goat, 1 tortoise, 3 sheep and 19 chickens. Lots of mouths to feed ad not much time for hobbies. I work as a self employed gardener.

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:46 AM

Would she be happier with a friend?  

#20 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 04 October 2014 - 01:31 PM

Not necessarily, only you can decide if you want another one or not. Be aware though that if you do have more, you will need as much room as possible, as they can be territorial if confined in a small space, not that they should anyway, but it's worse if you have more than one for this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users