• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:Looking after my Harry, of course, birdwatching, writing articles for my professional journal, Taekwon-Do, going to the ballet, eating out, holidaying in Scotland with my wife.

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:25 PM

Looks like Autumn's early this year, Harry's really slowed down. He's still eating but not moving much at all. Anyone else noticed the same?

#2 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:52 PM

Hi Graham,

I've noticed this mine have been the same as Harry. :)

#3 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

Yes Graham, we have a bit of a dawdle going now. X x x xhugs x x x

#4 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:00 PM

Yes same here is somerset too,like you say still feeding but being lazy lol

#5 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:56 AM

My two are still bombing around and eating like horses. We've only had the odd day here and there with no sun here in Leicestershire, It's supposed to be getting warmer again next week too, so hopefully my two should stay active until the end of the month at least. :)

#6 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2014 - 02:41 PM

Same here Graham. We have had some lovely weather, but they just know the days are shorter and atmospheric pressure is changing. I found lots of nice dandies yesterday, but not a lot of enthusiasm for them at all :(

#7 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:12 PM

I cleared out all the old dead stuff out of their enclosure yesterday and there's not a lot left for them to graze on now apart from what I give them. :(  The food that I put out for them this morning is all gone and their water pool had mud trailed all through it so I know they've had a good day! :rofl:

My two are still out at the moment and it's 4pm now. Maybe they're too young and naïve to realise that Autumn is on it's way! Either that or that new outdoor halogen lamp I bought for them to bask under on cool days is doing the trick and keeping them active. ;)

We've had a nice high pressure system here for the last few weeks and warm sunshine virtually every day, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it continues. My dog is always a good indicator of when the cool, damp, low pressure systems move in because her arthritis starts to play up. She's my personal barometer! ;)

#8 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 14 September 2014 - 03:34 PM

Ditto Graham! :)  Billiejo has also slowed down. However due to the good weather we have been having of late she is still eating.

Usually she has begun wind-down by now, so I'm hoping she gains some more weight before hibernation. ;)

Best wishes

Freddy :D

#9 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

Kelly, I have been thinking of switching my halogen lamp on but decided to leave it for a short while longer. They are all coming out of the tort,lodge and the greenhouse extension in the mornings and staying out most of the day, until about 6ish without the added help. They are munching but not too enthusiastically, my contribution to their meals is well down now and there is generally some left at bedtime.
It seems to have been such a short spring and summer
Hugs x x x x

#10 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:11 PM

I've been putting my lamp on, on cooI days because I don't want to start their wind down until Nov really. The less time they spend indoors in the tort table the better. I want them to make the most of the last of the Autumn sunshine before they bed down for the winter.... the later the better, because I'm aiming for Hazel to do between 8 weeks and for Norman I'm aiming at 12 again. I hate it when they're stuck inside when they wake up. I'd rather make the most of the great outdoors now... for as long as I can keep them active and eating before I bring them in.

I don't think the summer's been any shorter Stella..... I think we're all just getting older and the time is whizzing by! It'll be Christmas again before we know it.... where does the time go? x :rofl:

#11 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:57 PM

I think we have had a great summer, or maybe it's not been the same everywhere. My torts are quite predictable though with their lowing down, weather regardless. I always hope I can keep them going longer, but only manage it with the little ones. I go on holiday when the big ones are asleep and the little ones go on their holidays and start wind down when I get back. I've not told them yet lol.

#12 sfarq

sfarq

Tortoise Forum Newby

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Gardening , growing veg , caring for Ted and Rosie my Hermann tortoises.

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:22 PM

My two are slower and a bit more fussy about their food...even though lamps are on in the morning to get them going.Happy holidays Sue.

#13 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

Thanks, not going yet, but hope to have a good time. One day I will take a summer holiday, just need to get a house, dog and tortoise sitter

#14 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:14 AM

Thanks, not going yet, but hope to have a good time. One day I will take a summer holiday, just need to get a house, dog and tortoise sitter

If you find one pass them on to me.  :lol:

#15 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:53 PM

My two are definitely slowing down too. They have spent the last couple of months in the garden and thrived! They have a lamp that has a 60 watt bulb in that they get under in the morning but other than that there is just a greenhouse area. They have enjoyed plenty of sun and fresh food and are getting HUGE! (I say huge... they are 1 year old Hermanns and are actually still quite diddy in the grand scheme of things...).

Anyway, now I am wondering about winding down and hibernating them... In my mind, logic dictates that if I bring them in and put them in the tortoise table, they are going to get confused as it will be warmer than it has been outside.. so should I wind them down in the garden and remove all food from their enclosure? They are still eating at the moment. Then how long do I need to keep them off food before hibernating them? And what do people recommend is the best way to go about that?? I have a small fridge or a garage that is not attached to the house... I wouldn't be sure the garage wouldn't get too cool though as there is no heater in there.. I could get one though if needed.

I am SO scared about doing this as I had only just got them last winter so kept them awake but I know in the wild they would be going into hibernation and their instincts seem to be telling them that too so I need to do the right thing for them. So any help and advice would be REALLY gratefully received!! PLEASE!! x x 

#16 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 25 September 2014 - 06:37 PM

Hi Little Miss,

If your torts are slowing down you will need to bring them inside to their tortoise table and keep them going for a few months yet.

The recommended hibernation length for a 1 year old tortoise is 8 weeks with wind-down of about 14-18 days, usually beginning December. Hopefully there will be others along shortly to offer you more, helpful advice. 

Best of luck

Freddy

#17 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:10 PM

What weight are they Little Miss?

#18 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:51 PM

Hi Sue,

Pumpkin is 87g and patch is 92g.

I got them at a couple of months old last October. Back then, pumpkin was 19g and patch was 28kg. I make that a weight gain of 6g ish a month. Is that about right?

Does that all sound about right for hibernation?

Thank you, everyone!

Katie

#19 littlemiss

littlemiss

Tortoise Member

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

Thank you, Freddie. I have just moved them back indoors now on your advice- and its much to my daughters delight! She is only three but will sit and watch them for ages :-)

#20 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:15 PM

28 g was rather large for a 2 month old tortoises and they are both bigger than my own yearlings (around 40g), so would benefit from hibernation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users