Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:44 PM

Hi guys,
I need some advice wether to hibernate my hatchling this year as seems very dawnting as so small,i want to as i know its best to but what weight would you recommed before doing this?if so is 2-3 weeks hibernation length ok?
Regards matt

#2 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:25 PM

I plan to do mine too Matt..... It's not a great feeling x x x hugs x x x

#3 mildredsmam

mildredsmam

Advanced Tortoise Member

• Administrator
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:27 PM

Hi Matt,

I haven't as of yet hibernated my hatchlings but this year I am going to, it does seem very scary but I know it will be a lot better for them, hopefully Sue will be along soon to help you as she's been hibernating hatchlings for a lot of years with out any problems, I think she hibernates them over 20g. :)

I don't think 2/ 3 weeks hibernation would really be long enough, I think you would be better aiming for a longer hibernation you can always wake him if you thought he had lost too much weight etc. :)

#4 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

Yes it certainly does Stella and Karen :/
Ok brill,well hes weighing around 20-21g depending on the day really so by the time start to wind him down he will be slightly heavier!ok so 4-5 weeks sound more like it?how long for the wind down period as so small,3weeks?
Cheers guys

#5 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:38 PM

Hi Matt,

I think you should be aiming for 8 weeks maximum if hibernation is to have any benefit.

As Karen says if there are any problems regarding weight loss etc. you can always pull out early.

Here is a link which you may find useful http://www.hermann-t...downperiod.html

Hope it helps.

Best of luck

Freddy

#6 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 05:41 PM

Ok brill thanks Freddy :)
Will have a look at the link now!

#7 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:25 AM

I hibernated my hatchling last year Matt with no problems. I did a two week wind down for her, and aimed for 8 weeks. She didn't quite make that as she urinated towards the end and her weight dropped so I woke her up to be on the safe side. (The same thing happened with Norman during his first year too). However I'm hoping she'll do the full 8 weeks this year.

I aimed for 12 weeks for Norman last year, which he did with no problems. He's now 5 years old and 369g. I did a 3 week wind down for him last year. Will that still be enough for him this Winter? Shall I now aim for 16 weeks, or is that too long for him at this age?

#8 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:07 PM

Hi Kelly,

I would aim for a 3 month hibernation with Norman. You can always extend it by a couple of weeks if he hasn't lost too much weight.

Wind-down length for a tortoise his size and age would be about 26 days. Hope this helps.

Best of luck.

Freddy

#9 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:36 PM

Ok brill thanks kelly!
Will do a 2 week wind down then and aim for 8weeks hibernation if he doesnt loose to much weight that is!ok i will keep an eye on him with the urinating!
Thanks guys you have made me feel more confident now! :)
Regards matt

#10 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:20 PM

Mmmmmm my hearts still a-flutter x x x x hugs x x x

#11 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Walking, circuit training, reading, volunteering with The Leicester and Rutland Wildlife Trust and looking after my menagerie of 3 cats, a leopard gecko, a 23 year old corn snake, Maddie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, my 5 year old Hermann tortoise, Norman and my 2 year old, Hazel. :)

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

The little one's are fine Stella. :) I think it's us that  worry more. xx I just feel it gets a bit more complicated when they're at that sub-adult stage. :unsure2:

#12 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:51 PM

Yes is a worry Stella i know but i think we just have to bite the bullet and get it out the way :)

#13 Kelly

Kelly

Advanced Tortoise Member

• PipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:57 PM

I was the same Matt last year with Hazel... she was so tiny, but was absolutely fine. :) Once you've got one baby hibernation out of the way you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. ;)

#14 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:04 AM

And the other thing is that the torts outside do it themselves with only a tiny bit of help from me, so I feel I just supervise the process. My babes are mostly dependant on me...... I still plan to put them in the greenhouse with the others, in a box so I can check the easily. Deep breaths.........anyway, we have plenty more weeks to enjoy them. X x x xhugs x x x

#15 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:36 PM

I'd go for 8 weeks Matt, anything else is not really hibernation at all as it takes a while for them to slow down properly. At that size, given them enough soil to dig down into and it will all be perfectly natural for them ;)

#16 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

Ok thanks Sue :)
Will go for the 8weeks then depending on how his weight goes,hes weighing between 20-21g at the mo,is this ok?

#17 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:21 PM

Hi Sue, have you been away.......
Sue......what sort of time scale do you do for the wind down. My little chunky's are hitting the 28gm mark, there are a couple that I probably won't get to hibernate though if they put on the weight it will happen for them later. X x x xhugs x x x

#18 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

No, not been away yet Stella. I can't go until the babes are in hibernation :) Roll on hibernation time lol

I do between 2 and 3 weeks for the tiny ones but am guided by their behaviour during this time. If they are not out and about much then I do three weeks but if they are more active, then slightly less, as they will have emptied quicker if slightly warmer and therefor more active ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users