Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • Interests:Tortoises/reptiles,fishing/football

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:47 PM

Hi guys,
Just been out todo a head count before locking their hut up and took me half hour with a torch to find one of my young females,she had dug down deep so tomorrow im going to have get the shed set up to keep them going as havnt even had chance to start the wind down yet lol.has anyone else experienced this?
Regards matt

#2 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 September 2014 - 07:16 PM

Hello Matt..... Boy Pebble has himself a nice scrape which seems to get deeper. He does get out in the day and then wanders back. Or at least he did at the weekend, the,outside light is on for extra warmth and that helps. All the,others are active......slowly. X x x hugs x x x

#3 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 09:24 PM

Hi Stella,
Yes she emerged again this morning but this evening i got their indoor set up ready so in there now as want to keep them going aslong as i can then start wind down!its dropping to around 7c here some nights so its knocking them for six now!
Regards matt

#4 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2014 - 05:50 PM

I was planning to get the outside light going, but the change to warmer weather makes me wonder if I should. All have been out, though Boy Pebble did go back to his scrape tonight. I guess it will be a case of watching and see how it goes x x x hugs x x

#5 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:12 PM

Yes it has warmed up again!wish the weather would make its mind up lol.well mine are in their indoor enclosure now so going to keep them in as dont want to stress them to much,going to start wind down next week i think so they can go in the fridge begining of november but will see

#6 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:23 PM

I have got all mine in today. The cold nights are telling them to dig down and I've had to dig three up today, so enough is enough I think. There is no fooling these guys with a bit of sunshine lol

#7 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:09 PM

Yes they certainly aint daft Sue lol.when are you starting the wind down for your lot Sue?

#8 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:33 PM

Starting in a couple of weeks Matt, so they will be down in time for my hols. By the time I had sorted tea out tonight Calypso had sneaked back out and into the garden:( More digging tomorrow :(

#9 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:05 PM

Ok,i was thinking of keeping mine going for a couple more weeks too so they will come out in feb.going anywhere nice on your hols Sue?really,cheeky little monkey lol.The young female that dug down outside has dug down again indoors,cant keep her up with digging her up every morning to try and stimulate her under the lamp lol

#10 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:57 PM

Hi Matt

I've just set up the winter quarters, which they are not happy about, but needs must, getting too old to go crawling around on hands and knees every day with a plastic trowel now lol. My friend and me are off to Morocco, supposed to be a budget trip, but then the dog has to go into kennels and being raw fed I have to supply her diet for 15 days on top of the normal fee, then we need to hire a car etc etc and it's fast becoming expensive. I am determined to see Marrakech and the Sahara though, so I'm sure it will be worthwhile. Probably no torts to see at that time of year, but it won't stop me looking (and hopefully not getting arrested for lurking under bushes etc).

Can't wait, now the torts are sorted :D

#11 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2014 - 04:54 PM

I came home yesterday and Boy pebble had disappeared and so had Georgia. I dug them both up and gave them a bath.....today they are fine though have a nice scrape each. Both are early hibernators......so will only dig them up one more time before I give in. The rest are slow but enjoying the warm weather x x x hugs x x x x

#12 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:14 PM

Ha mine are sulking like little children lol.Very nice!!! Very jealous Sue.dont think i will be going abroad this year,cant afford it lol.really well its not turning out to be a budget holiday after all then,blinking animals heyy,cost an arm and a leg but they are worth it :) lol.you never know!will have to take your plastic trowel with you and do some digging haha

#13 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:53 PM

Lol will the trowel show up on scan? to top it all my dog has timed things so she will have to speyed in January now, thoughtless girl, just when I will be skint! good job these animals are loved or they would be packing their bags smartish :D

#14 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:13 PM

Ha dont think so sue but if it did im sure they would be curious to see what it is and why you have it,tell them its for building sand castles as if you were to say its for digging for torts i think they would think you have lost your marbles haha.oh god,that will set you back a few pennys then?lol.yes definatly but they worth every penny in my eyes :)ive just spend over £80 on another arcadia t5 d3+ kit,get a bit carried away lol

#15 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:45 AM

Yes, not cheap hobbies are they :/

#16 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:19 AM

Georgia has disappeared again yesterday, I am tempted to leave her now, this is three times now. I must admit that once I have a few resting I tend to let the others go, though the older ones will be another month before they start scratching about. They are made of stronger stuff I think. X x x xhugs x x x

#17 Guest_SueBoyle (was wizzasmum)_*

• Guests

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:29 AM

Once they have started to dig down they will keep on doing it, as this is what they are programmed to do. If outdoors and you are going to hibernate them, then you need to bring them in to wind them down safely. I've never known mature tortoises leave it until November to start to slow down, even in the Channel Isles.

#18 Beermat89

Beermat89

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 09:38 AM

Hi Stella,being outside and the sudden temp drops,id worry about that they havnt totally cleared their guts so id play it safe as Sue said and bring them into wind down,thats my opinion tho!

#19 Guest_Stella_*

Guest_Stella_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 October 2014 - 04:24 PM

I think I need to explain. My torts don't freely roam the garden, they are in Tort Lodge Gardens which is a restricted area.and all torts are dependant on me to feed them. My 'outdoor' set up has easy access to 'indoor' areas which is where they are at night, bask and hibernate in...... And this year I have discovered lay eggs!!!!
At this time of year I watch them closely, I know, from past years, the early hibernators and those, like the adults who go on for ages afterwards. I bath regularly, hopefully to get some sort of pooing activity going and if it happens it is noted, if it doesn't then I don't presume it has been done elsewhere. However the poo I clear up is getting less and is a different consistency.... So I know they are not eating as much.....and I am not feeding as much.
Within Tort Lodge gardens I have spotlight bulbs which give off heat. On days like today some like to sit under it before going to bed, others choose places they like better. I have a couple that don't come out at all, but by opening the Lodge door, they are able to get sun on their shells.
They do slow down Sue, but will stay with me until November......it was November 15th last year when all three decided not to come out of their 'indoor' quarters. By this stage all the younger torts were locked up in Tort Lodge.
This way works for me.....and for my torts. They emerge in the spring with no weight loss and looking healthy. And it is a way I have been doing for many years.
It is interesting to watch them, because as they slow down they choose not to eat, for example Georgia hasn't eaten for a few weeks now, she has been bathed every day and has pood a few times, but I have had nothing for the last week or so. There was a bit of food around today, but she has ignored it. I am happy she is ready to hibernate and will see how we go next week and if a few more baths see her clear I will leave her next time she digs down.
Peta has begun to dig a little so she will get the same treatment. It is a matter of knowing your torts and then putting in the time.
Also there is an added bonus in that I don't need to move them to a different area, they are always in an area they are familiar with.
X x x hugs x x x

#20 Freddy

Freddy

Advanced Tortoise Member

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Interests:Journalism, Amateur Radio, Astronomy, History, Literature, Music, Photography, Gardening, Conservation, Birdwatching, Tortoises.

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:30 AM

Hi Guys, :)

Billiejo has nearly completed her wind-down and is due to go into her hibernation box on Thursday.

She usually goes down about mid October every year. She has her own routine and things run like clockwork for her.

She has been indoors for the past couple of weeks and hasn't eaten in nearly a month. The weather here this time of year is very poor and the temps have now taken a turn for the worse. It is also very windy and cold outside. I plan to build her a new enclosure when the weather improves and hopefully it will be ready when she emerges from hibernation in Spring. This will be her 33rd hibernation with me and I have to say I always get butterflies every time she goes down.

I know, Billiejo is one of the earliest hibernating torts on the forum so I will be keeping my fingers crossed for another successful year.

She is now 55 years old. Bless her! :wub:

I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone and their torts a smooth and safe hibernation. We will be here over the winter months to lend a helping hand should anyone need it. 

Anyway, best of luck everybody and roll on Spring! ;)

Kind Regards

Freddy :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users